Basic Scart Connection How???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by HaydnGT, Dec 19, 2006.

1. HaydnGT

HaydnGT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please Help
    I am trying to connect My Phillips 32" Tv (with 2 Scarts) thro' a SKY Digibox(with 2 Scarts) to a Phillips DVD player (1 Scart) & a Phillips Video Recorder (with 2 Scarts) I have tried many combinations of connection paths all to no avail.:lease: :lease:

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,618
    Connect the socket marked "TV Scart" on the digibox to EXT1 on the TV.
    Connect scart from the DVD to the EXT2/Decoder socket on the VCR and connect the VCR EXT1 to the EXT2 socket on the TV.
    For best picture quality set the video output of the digibox to RGB...as the EXT1 scart on all Philips TVs is RGB enabled.
    This arrangement will passthrough a Composite (possibly RGB) picture from the DVD looped through the VCR when it's on or on standby...the EXT2 socket on the TV will accept Composite or S-Video...to be sure I would need to know the model no of the TV.

3. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have found that some videos do not pass DVD signals correctly due to macrovision. Also, some videos will not output anything other than composite (even on pass through).

A Sky box will pass RGB though so you can always go through that if need be.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,618
    I considered that at first but thought he may want to record from his digibox via composite scart rather than RF.
    He would be better off getting a scart switch so he can have RGB from Sky and DVD.

5. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My setup is:

SCARTS

(1). Scart from TV socket on Sky digibox to AV1 (EXT 1) on TV.
    (2). Scart from DVD to AV2 (EXT 2) on TV.
    (3). Scart from VCR socket on Sky digibox to scart in/out on VCR.

N.B. Recording from Sky digibox is via scart connection only.
    Playback from VCR is via scart only (it will 'loop through' the digibox and say, "look at me" to your AV1 on TV).

RF (coax) leads

(4). Coax from external aerial to VCR IN (female socket). This enables terrestrial recording if required.
    (5). Coax from VCR OUT (male socket) to Sky digibox RF IN (female socket).
    (6). Coax from Sky digibox RF1 OUT to TV.

N.B. The 'RF2' coax output from the Sky digibox remains unused but is available, should it be required, for a bedroom TV (and, because of the route of the coax wiring, it would carry terrestrial, VCR and digibox outputs thereon).

6. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Absolutely correct. Have your DVD connected directly to your TV, have your Sky box connected directly to your TV. Dog-leg your VCR to your TV via the Sky box. When you want to record from Sky to VCR, it works perfectly. If you want to watch a video, it works perfectly.

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,618
    The only fly in the ointment in this case is the OPs Philips TV will be S-Video or Composite on EXT2 so if he wants the best pic quality from his DVD he will need to get a scart switch for RGB or an S-Video to scart lead.