Basic rf daisy chaining problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by davee b, Jan 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all

Have just added a second video recorder to our bedroom "archiving" set up. The original recorder (video 1) is now daisy chained via rf cable with additional recorder (video 2). I've been joining these things up for 15 years and never had this problem before....that is there is no rf output from video 2 to the tv (i need to see an output to set the timer via osd). All the channels on video 2 have been correctly auto tuned (i've put a tape in and recorded them manually). video 2 also passes through the signal from video 1 to the tv fine. i cant use scart as there is a dvd player using the single tv scart and there literally isnt room for a scart switch. Any rf experts out there. :clown:

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Not an expert by any means, but here goes anyway...

The rf output could be switched off, or it could be set to a channel the TV cannot tune to, or it could be being swamped by a stronger signal. Or the modulator could be faulty.

Assuming it's a recent VCR the output rf can almost certainly be adjusted to any channel from 21 or 22 to 68 or 69, or to off. (Early VCRs had a small screw adustment alongside the sockets that only had a range of a few channels either side of channel 36.) The manual should tell you how to make the adjustment, but it may take some finding. Look for 'Video Channel Set' (JVC) or 'Removing Interference' (Panasonic), or similar. It might tell you to press and hold STOP on the recorder (JVC), or to press the 'MENU' button for more than 5 secs (Panasonic), or similar. The output channel is then shown on the front panel display and you can adjust it using the channel up/down buttons. Stepping up will adjust the output up to the highest channel, then to an off state, then it will wrap round to the lowest channel. Press OK to complete the adjustment.

The exact instructions will be different for other makes, but probably along similar lines. Choose a channel that is empty and not adjacent to one of the local TV channels.

I have come across the situation where someone replaced their VCR and apparently could not see the ouput whatever channel they adjusted the VCR to. It turned out their old VCR was set to channel 69, so the TV channel they used to watch the VCR was also set to channel 69, and the new VCR would only go up to channel 68.

Hope this helps.

Must be cramped if you haven't got room for a SCART switch.

3. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the reply maldonian. i figured the output had probably been somehow changed/turned off. the extensive instruction manual makes no mention (at first glance) of altering or enabling the rf channel. the machine is a hitachi fx770e and is around 3 years old. i'll keep looking, thanks again. :)

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,668
    Or, if the new VCR has 2 scarts you could probaly feed the DVD player through one of them & connect the other to the TV. That way, when the VCR is in standby, the RGB from the DVD should be fed through to the TV.

While experimenting with Moldonians suggestions it would be an idea to remove the RF leads from VCR1 & join them. That way you can eliminate the possibility of the RF output from VCR1 conflicting with the output from VCR2. Obviously if you have problems when you reconnect the RF to VCR1 you know that you DO have a conflict & will have to alter the output channel on one of them.

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I just did a search for HITACHI VCR RF OUTPUT on Google. The result "Hinari & Hitachi VCR" gives brief instructions for several Hitachi models. No fx770e but the fx850e instructions are:

With the set in standby press play/still button the display on video should read RF35. If it reads RF_ _ there may be no rf output, so while still in standby press stop button and RF_ _ appears and the required rf output can be selected using the channel up down buttons. If no rf is required it can be switched off at this stage by pressing stop again.

A bit confusing. If I understand it correctly: Press the play button while in standby to display the rf output channel. If it displays RF_ _ then the output is off. Use the stop button to toggle the rf output on/off. Use the up/down buttons to change channel. You may need to press the power on button to store the changes.

6. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thx guys. I cant daisy chain the dvd (1 scart) to the video as there will be macrovision blocking. Thanks for the tip on changing the rf but unfortunately that didnt work either. The video was set to 31 so i changed it to 35 but no joy. i managed to get a messed up picture on 27 but nothing else between 22 and 69 gave anything. bit strange as the two videos have worked together before ok. the hitachi has been switched off for a few weeks so something has obviously changed in that time. I eventually solved the problem by routing the hitachi through the front av inputs on the tv. not ideal or aesthetically very good but at least it works. cheers for the ideas :thumbsup:

7. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,668
    Macrovision only comes into effect when recording. The VCR should simply pass the RGB signal from the DVD straight to the TV when the VCR is in standby.

8. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for that crocodile. I was under the impression you couldnt pass thru either. I'll rearrange things.
    :hiya:

9. AntF

AntF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that if I played a DVD with Macrovision on my Xbox connected through a video it wouldn't play correctly - I assumed this was going to happen on a TV/Video combi but it works fine - not sure what it proves though.