1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic questions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by wetherby1, Nov 14, 2004.

1. wetherby1

wetherby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Hi just about to start editing my footage which has been mounting up over the last two years and am not sure about a couple of thing first of all why do I need to use firewire instead of usb 2.0 because as far as I can see the footage can only be transfered as fast as the camcorder plays or is it a matter of quality. Which brings me on to my next question my plan was to get all the footage of my tapes from my new dv camcorder and my old 8mm burn it all to dvd or cd and then edit at my leisure, what I would like to no is will I lose quality by putting it on to cd first or should I put it straight on to dvd and is there any setting I need to save the footage as to retain best quality.

Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Although USB2 theoretically is fast enough to transfer DV to your PC it doesn't work out in practice. Firewire is the way to go. It's about sustained data rate throughput if you don't want to drop frames & firewire is best.

You will lose quality tansfering to DVD (CD forget it) & then editing from that on your PC. You are best capturing from tape to hard drive in DV format (this is the format that editing software is generally geared towards). Edit in DV & then later encode & author to MPEG-2 for burning to DVD. You are going to need hard drive space to do your editing as 1 hour of footgae is about 14Gb & you will want double that roughly to allow for editing/transcoding to DVD for each hour.

3. wetherby1

wetherby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:

Thanks I think I get it, just one thing about not transferring to cd if I transfer the footage from tape on to the hard drive and then just save it as a file onto cd, will I still lose quality surely the file on the cd will be a copy of the file on the hard drive or am I totally of track.

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    You are right in saying that saving the file to CD would not result in loss of quality. Unfortunately a CD will only hold around 3 minutes of DV. :(

Storing it on CD as mpeg2 would provide almost 10 minutes of best DVD quality but I think we are all agreed this is not recommended if you want to edit later.