Basic question on video handling through AV receivers

A

alanfcross

Beginner here, so excuse me!
Looking at my first AV receiver, and trying to understand the spec for the Denon AVR-1705.
I presume 'assignable' component inputs means that you associate specific video inputs with specific audio inputs, and can shuffle then to suit without re-patching?
Am I right in saying that these boxes seldom or never convert one video format to another, eg S-video or RGB to component. So if you have mixture of source formats you're going to need several connections to the monitor, one for each format, and switch manually and separately. Can anyone confirm? Or externally convert everything to component before it hits the amp?
RGB does not get a mention with this unit. Is it assumed present, or is it not catered for? Can you just put RGB or component in to any of the 'component' inputs, and get out whatever you put in, or does it HAVE to be a component signal on the component inputs? I can't see that the unit will process the signals in any way (except if it is format converting) - is it just a simple switch that will switch whatever 1-volt signal you throw at it?

Perhaps there is a good FAQ someone can point me to, like the excellent on on DVDRs. Or perhaps a manufacturer's brochure that is clearer than the average?!

TIA.

The 1705 will simply pass whatever signal you have through with no conversion. The 1705 has s-video switching and component switching.

More expensive receivers do upconversion.

2105 has s-video up conversion
2805 has component up conversion

You would need multiple inputs, for example my amp has component connections which I connect to my pj with my dvd (which can send the yuv signal) but anything else is connnected via s-video. Which is very handy as I only have one s-video input on my pj whereas my amp has about 5.

This appears to be a simple guide.

[removed because seriously outdated] sorry

So am I right in saying that, in general) SCART-type RGB (via whatever connections) is not possible for AV receiver inputs? If so, this means I'd have to ditch the RGB output that currently use from my VCR, DVD and STB, and use S-video (if it's implemented in the device) or composite (if S-video is not there). Ouch! Time to upgrade all my kit?
With my plasma (Panny) I have a component terminal board which (delighted to discover) will also take RGB (with a variety od sync options). Is it perhaps the same with amps and receivers?

alanfcross

Video terminology tends to get used and abused with abandon by all and sundry in Consumer land.

All of the following are 'Component' signals:

S-Video - is a two core signal.
SCART RGB - is a 4 core signal (RGB+Composite sync)
YUV - is a 3 core signal (often referred to as Component)

Your Digibox will Output RGB or Composite via its SCART socket and some (SKY+ for example) have an additional S-Video Output.

The majority of AV Receivers have Composite, S-Video and YUV switching.

Some AV Receivers (as pointed out in the previous post) have video up-conversion facilities (Composite to S-Video and the more upmarket ones Composite and S-Video to YUV) to minimise how many Output cables you need to run to your Display/TV.

You can convert RGB to YUV using an intermediary box - though a decent one will cost you near 200.00 inc cables.

There are a few AV Receivers with multiple SCART Input/Output sockets - Pioneer have one or two 'slim line' models.

Upgrading your kit will not necessarily ease your connectivity spaghetti - no matter how much you spend your unlikely to get every source with a common output type.

If your DVD and STB both output RGB these can be daisy chained and the common output can be converter to YUV using a single RGB2YUV or RGB2VGA (RGBHV - which is what your Plasma Board is looking for) converter.

Lots of options to consider - including adding a SCART Board to your display and a Multiple Input SCART switcher with IR between all of your sources and the Display and not use Video switching on the AV Receiver.

101 ways to connect up a system - budget is usually the big decider on which route you take.

Best regards

Joe

You can get scart to rgb phono leads and connect these to your amp component connections with a composite for the sync and use the switching on the amp, ihave done this on my old 555es with no problems.

schillaci0

Your assuming the Display has the ability to Input RGB+Composite sync - which is most definitely not always the case :)

And most displays require that you use a second or third level User menu control to switch between RGB and YUV; not ideal.

As you say an option for some but not all systems.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom