Basic question - burning cash iso

nathankw

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the noob question but I'm obviously doing something wrong and couldn't find the solution on the forum.

I've downloaded the Cash compilation and have the iso file. But when I burn it to CD (using Nero), the process seems to work fine but the resulting CD is blank (both in the PC and the xbox). I also tried using Alcohol 52% to mount the iso as a drive and again its unreadable.

Ok, I thought, the iso must be corrupt. So I downloaded AID instead and got exactly the same.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Should I just burn the entire iso file to a disc rather than getting Nero to treat it as an iso (if that makes sense?)

Any help much appreciated.

Try burning it to CD-RW. You probably find that your dvd drive can't read CDR's. The xbox drives are fussy.

One of my Xbox's reads CDR's fine, the other doesn't.

z

I thought of that but I think it's even more basic than that since even the PC shows it as blank even though it's written the iso with no errors.

So that's when I though I'll open up the iso using an image mounter (in this case Alcohol) and if I can see the files I can burn them to DVD instead. But Alcohol just said the iso is unreadable.

And this has happened with several downloads so it's hard believe they're all corrupt - I must be doing something wrong.

I normally just burn to DVD-Rs with DVD-Dycrypter. Never use CD-Rs for Xbox as they rarely work. DVD-R's are cheaper and more common that CDRW, just can't use them again.

Check the ISO with Qwix - you can also install it to the XBox via FTP using Qwix. Or as above burn the ISO using DVD Decrypter/ImgBurn to a DVDR....

Well, I've never tried putting a burnt xbox iso into my PC, but curiosity got the better of me and I've just tried.

Accessing from the DOS prompt, I get the following message:

C:\windows\system32>d:
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Explorer had a heart attack and just beeped at me!

The disc works fine in my hard modded xbox so it may be just a red herring that you can't access the date from a PC.

Try alternative media dvdr/cdrw in your xbox and let us know how you got on.

z

Any Xbox disk is designed to not be read properly in a PC as a form of copy protection

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll give them a go tonight.

I'd assumed that the homebrew discs like Cash and AID would just have regular files systems - hence my confusion when they seemed to be unreadble.

As you say, probably a media problem so I'll try some other discs.

Do verbatim dvd-r's usually work OK?

Do verbatim dvd-r's usually work OK?

Should do

You could do with checking to see which make of DVD drive you have as some as more picky with media than others

click here to find out

Unfortunately any disk has to be encrypted to be bootable for the Xbox.

Update...

used imgburn to burn the iso onto DVD (nero would only burn it onto CD) and it works perfectly. Installing XBMC as i type.

Thanks for all the help!

n

Update...

used imgburn to burn the iso onto DVD (nero would only burn it onto CD) and it works perfectly. Installing XBMC as i type.

Thanks for all the help!

n

I was just about to sugest ImgBurn - It's freeware and the update/replacement to dvd decrypter. Been using it for a few weeks and it's :thumbsup:

Now have XBMC installed (I cannot believe how good it is!!!! All the people who worked on it are absolute heroes!).

Next I want to get a remote control for it. Will any of the cheap (£10 ish) remotes on ebay work fine with XBMC? Has anyone had any experiences with any remotes not working well?

The standard XBox remote and dongle works fine....thirdy party or official will be the same - it's all down to the look and feel.

Now have XBMC installed (I cannot believe how good it is!!!! All the people who worked on it are absolute heroes!).

Next I want to get a remote control for it. Will any of the cheap (£10 ish) remotes on ebay work fine with XBMC? Has anyone had any experiences with any remotes not working well?

You can use other remotes if you can be bothered editing all the IR codes in XBMCs config files, but you'll still need the official remote to get the IR-receiver dongle that comes with it. So you may as well see how you get on with the Microsoft one first.

...you may as well see how you get on with the Microsoft one first.

By microsoft one do you mean one made by microsoft or will 3rd party remotes work just as well as scumball says? The official ones seem to be hard to get hold of but ebay is full of cheap 3rd party ones.

official remote was £4.99 in my local woolworths last week...

and yeah XBMC is the dogs nads... can only be improved when you link it in with a mythtv backend (a pc running mythtv on the network) :) thus getting xmbc but with pvr action :)

official remote was £4.99 in my local woolworths last week...

Really? That's a great deal.
I've checked a couple of woolworths locally (n.london) with no luck - they seem to have cleared out almost all of their xbox stuff.

If you happen to see another I'll gladly pay you back plus postage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom