1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic question about LCD projectors in general...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Captain chaos, May 8, 2003.

1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I was planning on buying a A300 very soon, but wondered about my eventual setup of the kit.

If I had a ceiling mount (which I intended to use) can you just leave it up near the ceiling and just "tilt" the image (via the menu or something) to comensate for the height of the projector, or does the projector HAVE to be lowered to produce a level correctly ratio - ed image?

I just planned on mounting the projector in a fixed position and leaving it at that, or is that not possible?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possible with most projectors, but not ideal (from a PQ point of view).

It's called keystone correction.

:smoke:

3. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Projectors don't have to be pointed directly at the middle of the screen. They can, and all home cinema ones do, have a vertical image offset built into the optical systems.

That is to project a perfect rectangular image they have to be mounted either on a table with the lens roughly level with the bottom edge of the screen or mounted upside-down on the ceiling with the lens roughly level with the top of the screen.

Obviously when mounted upside-down the image will be inverted, however all digital projectors have the ability to simply invert the projected image.

Some projectors, like the Sanyo-Z1, will allow you to adjust this offset (both vertically and horizontally) within the optical system which gives it more versatility in mounting position.

Other projectors like the AE300 and HS-10 can compensate for being mounted offset from the ideal location by correcting the resulting image distortion digitally, however this process harms image quality significantly.

-- Jon

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Useful post, thanks gothmog. I too am considering my first PJ purchase so this is good info for us newbies ;)