• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

basic question about blu-ray

TheReaper

Standard Member
sorry for this being a very basic question.

im looking to save up for a HD ready flat screen tv and a HD dvd player as i really like my films. now i see alot of blu-ray advertised and even at the likes of block buster etc. is Blu-ray the HD player to get, as it seems to now be very common?

am i right in thinking this?

and i take it a HD tv will be fine connected to a blu-ray player?

also are blu-ray players able to play normal dvd's or is a seperate player needed?

thank you.
sorry for the numpty questions haha.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Yes Blu-ray is the high definition disc format, so a Blu-ray player is the right thing to get.

They should all be fine connecting to an HDTV, any TV that is HD Ready or Full HD will work fine with any Blu-ray player.

All the Blu-ray players will play your existing DVD's, quality of DVD playback varies, but is generally acceptable on all players. If you weren't ultra picky about DVD playback before then I doubt current Blu-ray players will be a problem.

I would stick to the main brands for better support, so Sony & Panasonic are the safest bets, Samsung and LG are also worth a look.

TheReaper

Standard Member
thank you very much.

the stuff i have is quite old, really needs updating, but i was putting off for a bit. i really wanting to improve my film viewing, though on a budget so making sure im getting the best i can afford, but also the equipment that all works.

cheers again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom