• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Basic Q but cannot find answer!!

pure_geordie

Established Member
Basically I want to run cables for my speakers /sub that I will eventually buy...am I right by saying all I need for the subwoofer is a subwoofer cable...and that just connections straight into the av amp...:eek:

Cheers

rEVILospud

Prominent Member
Yes.
All you need is a RCA to RCA lead.
I am currently using one very much like this!

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
As rEVILospud says, absolutely correct. It's also worth having a look at the Mark Grant sub cable in the powerbuys in the cable forum. Mark will custom make them to any length. I and many others, will vouch for the service, the quality of the product and the extremely competitive pricing.

Russell

pure_geordie

Established Member
OK...thanks for that...So tell me....Why do sub-woofers come with loads of interconnections like speaker left right and another speaker connections ....and other connections ..:eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

I'm confused

When all you need is one cable input like you sid RCA input

Cheers:smashin:

pure_geordie

Established Member
Oh...and one other thing...so basically if that is true all i need to do is plug cable into av amp...sub out...then plug it into where in the back of sub...I am just generally speaking on the subs behalf...they have different kinds of inputs..so basically which one would i plug into in the sub..

Also does anybody know where i can view just the connections on a few basic sub woofers...pictures please..

Ta:smashin:

rEVILospud

Prominent Member
They sometimes have a built-in amplifier to use with the speakers.
If these are used, you don't need a separate AV Amp / Receiver, but this is often to the detriment of quality and power delivered to the speakers.

In most cases you would not use the speaker output connections or the audio inputs, just the SUB IN socket.

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
There are two ways of connecting, one is called 'Low level' (or LFE) which is the one described above and suits most peoples purposes. The other is called 'high level' and involves connecting the subwoofer with left and right speaker cables from you front stereo pair.

the second is favoured by some hifi enthusiasts and is suppoed to be better for stereo music listening as the full signal is sent to the sub and you then control the crossover on the sub itself.

On LFE you set the corssover on the sub to maximum or off and control the corssover on your Receiver/Processor. Normally setting all the speakers to small and a crossover around 80hz.

If this is your first venture into subwoofery I would suggest the LFE connection as it seems more popular and quite adequate for most people :)

pure_geordie

Established Member
Thanks AE...so I will use the LFE connection...so does that mean that is the RCA input, using only RCA-RCA cable from AV amp to RCA input on sub....please

Meaning the LFE is the RCA input:suicide:

I think you know what i mean and what I'm trying to ask

pure_geordie

Established Member
The av/amp in Q is thishttp://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_media.jsp?product_id=12383&taxonomy_id=42-98 ..please...so where does the cable go from...and where would the cable go to in the sub-woofer
Ta..Please help this dope:eek:

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Connect the 'subwoofer out' on your receiver/Amp/Processor to the low level/LFE/Sub in on your Subwoofer. If it has a left and right LFE input on the sub just pick one, it doesn't matter which although some people say use the left one.

It is best to get a cable 'advertised' as being for a subwoofer as they tend to be shielded a bit better than a normal stereo interconnect and subs are more likely to pick up interference.

pure_geordie

Established Member
I have seen the subs I've been looking at and none of them say LFE in..they have four connections for speakers and an line in connector...so which one and why so many....oh man me heed:eek:

Jammyb

Prominent Member
I don't think i'll be able to tell without a bigger picture :p

Buy an AV amp
Buy an active subwoofer (a sub with an amp built in)
Buy a subwoofer cable (single phono cable)

All will be well.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Use the yellow RCA Phono Line Input socket on the sub. Connect using an RCA Phono to Phono sub/video cable to LFE/Subwwofer socket on the back of the amp. Make sure the cable is a dual screened shielded type. Normal stereo interconnect types will work, but you may suffer a good deal of mains hum. Thats what the shielding is for. Sub/video cables are basically the same thing and will normally be advertised for these specific purposes. That's all there is to it.

Russell

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
russ.will said:
Use the yellow RCA Phono Line Input socket on the sub. Connect using an RCA Phono to Phono sub/video cable to LFE/Subwwofer socket on the back of the amp. Make sure the cable is a dual screened shielded type. Normal stereo interconnect types will work, but you may suffer a good deal of mains hum. Thats what the shielding is for. Sub/video cables are basically the same thing and will normally be advertised for these specific purposes. That's all there is to it.

Russell

What he said :)

If you give us our budget/listening preferences/room size we may be able to suggest some others to consider. :)

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I don't know, you do your best and what do you get in return :D

pure_geordie

Established Member
Angel Eyes....Sorry mate thank you for your help too...:D

Any suggestions:- Room size 16ft by 8ft.

Send arounf 700 quid on speakers/sub

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom