Basic projector info

S

secret squire

Hi,

I've been tasked to find a permanantly mounted LCD projector for my company, basically I'm looking for something that will be used almost exclusivley for powerpoint, so doesn't need to be uber fantastic, but needs to do the job, with a ceiling mount.

I currently know absolutley nothing about LCD projectors, but I'm looking for a lower-spec one, and would appreciate any advice / suggestions on what to be looking for - I don't have a budget as yet, but it isn't exactly going to be sky high.

Cheers,

SS

Oakleyspatz

Does it have to be LCD and not DLP? I say that because the Benq MP620p is a superbly specified DLP projector ideal for your needs and sells for just £497 + vat.
This model is not only XGA resolution offering crisp text and graphics, but is also very bright at 2200 ansi lumens, Being bright usually means that blacks look grey and the image lacks any 'bite'. This is especially true with LCD models but this BenQ has a contrast ratio of 2000:1 which is very, very good when you consider the brightness. Most LCD models in this price range struggle to reach 500:1 contrast ratio.
Anyway, if you are sure you want LCD, go to www.projectorpoint.co.uk and use the 'projector selector' to view some possible models. Click on 'Office' type to go to the models you need.
Aim for an XGA model with high brightness and as high a contrast ratio as you can find and afford. if it were my money though, I'd get a DLP model.

Hope this helps!

Danny

Jules

Distinguished Member
I use projectors all the time at work, and for powerpoint presentations you need something bright (> 1500 lumens). Don't worry about the contrast figures at all... it's really not important.

For home cinema, its the opposite. You need contrast not lumens.

LCD is fine for the workplace. In fact we have several LCD units at work that do a great job.

My only other advice is that you should convince your employers to buy a spare lamp for it at the time of purchase. If not, the lamps can be hard to get hold of later and work projectors tend not to be used cautiously... causing premature lamp death.

S

secret squire

Many thanks for the replies so far, it does not have to be LCD, as I have to confess, I have no idea what DLP is! - As I said, I know pretty much nothing about projectors, but I'll have a look around that website.

Many thanks

SS

Oakleyspatz

Jules said:
Don't worry about the contrast figures at all... it's really not important.

For home cinema, its the opposite. You need contrast not lumens.

But if you can get it for the same money, you'd be mad not to surely! Black blacks give images a snap that a flat grey image lacks. I'm sure even for powerpoint presentations, the better the image looks the better it is for everyone. especially if there is high ambient light in the room, a higher contrast ratio should be considered a must, not a bonus.

cyberheater

But surely the contrast ratio of any modern dlp machine is going to be way better then the environment allows.
I've never been in a conference room that was even close to black so in a way the contrast ratio of the PJ is meaningless.

For presentation work you need lumens and resolution. A good 1024 x 768 resolution benq machine should suit. A Benq PB6240 would fit the bill.

Oakleyspatz

cyberheater said:
For presentation work you need lumens and resolution. A good 1024 x 768 resolution benq machine should suit. A Benq PB6240 would fit the bill.
A very similar spec to the Benq MP620p I recommended only the MP620p is £200 cheaper( That would buy you a spare bulb!)

wizard of oz1

Oakleyspatz and Cyberheater, do you think that Benq MP620P's brightness and contrast is measured at the sametime or max 2000:1 contrast ratio is measured in expense of low brightness and visa versa. Would you recommend Benq MP620P - in spite of being developed as data projector- anybody who is looking for a homecinema projector and put it with same class in Optoma HD72 or Infocus IN76.

Oakleyspatz

wizard of oz1 said:
Oakleyspatz and Cyberheater, do you think that Benq MP620P's brightness and contrast is measured at the sametime or max 2000:1 contrast ratio is measured in expense of low brightness and visa versa. Would you recommend Benq MP620P - in spite of being developed as data projector- anybody who is looking for a homecinema projector and put it with same class in Optoma HD72 or Infocus IN76.
All manufactures quoted figures should be taken with a pinch of salt and yes, you may be right; these are optimum figures which may be at the expence of one or the other.
But as a comparison with others in the same price range, it should easily outperform them in contrast range.
I would not recommend it as a Home Cinema pj though unless you are on a tight budget. It will not compare with the HD72 or In76 for movie duties. Video proccessing is also a very important part of delivering a good film image and the BenQ will not have that.
Great as a first PJ I am sure, but not up to those standards for movies. Also it is only a 4.3 ratio pj, not a 16.9 so not all those pixels will be used to make up a widescreen image.

Bee-Man

Look at the specs in economy mode of most projectors and that is closer (although not exactly the truth) to reality...I would take contrast over brightness unless the room is not going to be very dark....

Squire, at the end of the day and particularly for PowerPoint, buy the cheapest model with the highest image resolution you can get within budget. LCD/DLP is not that big a deal for static images, however brightness is a plus....

For home use, I have a low spec TOSHIBA TDP-S30 GA placed at ~10ft from the screen and am viewing at 15ft. Cost me US$800.00 and I wouldnt consider LCD technology.

Two friends of mine have US$2K systems placed at 8ft from the screen with seating at 10ft....it is unilaterally agreed that mine looks better, and also that my system is inferior in every spec comparison.....

Good/optimum placement of the projector and seating that is ~4ft and greater behind the focal length (where the projector emits) contributes a lot to the clarity of image that the eye will see........ and can make a low spec system look half decent.

Hope this helps and cheers....

cyberheater

wizard of oz1 said:

What Oakleyspatz just said.

It has to be said that even a so called data projector like the Benq MP620P will still produce a great movie image. It's getting to the point these days that it's quite hard to go wrong with buying a PJ providing you buy the latest model. To a degree, they're all good.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom