• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Basic Power Amplifier with Digital Input

eyedee

Standard Member
As I have just started my own business working from home, I've recently relocated a load of DJ equipment from my study to give me more space to work and I find the only reason I'm keeping my HI-FI in the study is so I can output my PC and Mac through my Tannoy M2 speakers.

The Mac is connected via TOS-Link Digital Optical Cable to a Sony Minidisk player that is plugged into a Cambridge Audio A5 amplifier.

I'd really like to move the hI-FI downstairs to accompany the DJ equipment and all I need upstairs is an amplifier that accepts a TOS-Link input and can be connected to my Tannoy M2 speakers. I have had a look around the net bt I cant find anything that seems to offer this that isnt a fully blown AV receiver.

Is anyone aware of a basic and relatively inexpensive (as cheap as possible!) power amplifier that would accept a TOS-Link input and solve the problem? :confused:

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
"Power amplifiier" and "digital inputs" is a self-contradiction and consequently there's no such thing by definition. Any amplifier taking digital inputs must have both a DAC (to get the analogue signal) and some form of subsequent signal attenuation (volume control = preamplifier). You will need an integrated amplifier with an internal DAC. Cambridge Audio is a name that comes to mind at the more budget end.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom