Basic playing of mp3 files on my hifi ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by swayzak, Jan 23, 2008.

1. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

I have a Creative Zen:Vision M 30GB.

Hifi amp = Cambridge Audio A3i

After looking at various alternatives which all have their problems (CA 640H, network streamers etc.), I beginning to think it would be simpler just to connect the headphone socket of Zen to an analogue in of amp.

Still get a lot of good quality Lame -extreme encoded VBR mp3's on the player & can update whenever I want to hear new stuff.

I'm not really fussed about streaming from internet / PC at the moment.

Would this sound crap or be acceptable (I like good sound but am not a hi-fi nut) ? Are the D/A converters on these portable players terrible ?

thanks

swayzak

2. Dave964

Dave964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Get a cable and try it - I got one for Maplins, and it's not expensive.

Personally, I thought that the sound quality was not acceptable (with ipod) - so I won't buy stuff from itunes anymore because I then have to go and buy the CD anyway.

3. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks

I've ordered the basic Creative AV cable - I think this is supposed to be the "best" way (analogue output from the players Docking Connector, rather than the headphone ... ? better quality signal).

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    YMMV – I happily use one of these :

http://www.lektropacks.com/view_product_standard.php?product=256&department=4&sub1=30&show=30

Off the headphone output of my 8Gb Nano into my amplifiers, simply hook up with a set of ICs that are lying around. Sounds more than acceptable to me with MP3s @ 320kbps, it is never going to be CD quality so I would not get hung up on it, but it is a perfectly viable source to a hifi system. I would not bother with docks and the likes, I’d be looking to upgrade speakers and amplifiers before that dude.

HTHs

5. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I hope they won't sound too bad - Lame extreme (around 220-240 vbr). Certainly sound OK through headphones !

I wouldn't really class myself as an audiophile anyway (love my Cerwin Vega AT-60s :thumbsup: ) - as long as they sound acceptable I don't really mind.

It's the music that's important :)