Basic phone sms mms problem

mathemagic

Novice Member
I'm trying to help my elderly mother remotely.
She has one of those very basic phones, a Samsung GT-E1270. Not android etc.

All of a sudden she has noticed she is being charged 30p per message she sends which is eating her credit up very quickly.

My gut instinct is that, somehow, she has changed the default messaging from SMS to MMS and so each message is being charged as a multimedia one. I think this happened to me many years ago!

Does anyone know or remember how to check and change the messages setting back to SMS only?

wine man

If you go onto the messages section of the phone there are normally 3 vertical dots in the top corner of the page. If you tap on that the settings are all in a menu.

JBA6

@wine man if you read the OP's post above more carefully you'll see it's not an Android phone so there won't be an Android style messages app with a 3 dot menu. It's a feature phone or flip-phone as they are sometimes called. The user manual can be readily found on the Samsung website but although it does mention you can customise the phone by pressing Menu - Settings etc it doesn't go into sufficient detail to answer the OP's question. Unless someone who still has one of these phones responds I think you'll have to fix the problem in person.

--
JB

mathemagic

Novice Member
Thank you to both for taking the time to reply. @JBA6 is correct - it is a very basic phone and asking my mum to work through different menus on the phone didn't find anything.

I'm hoping to visit in the next couple of weeks - I may have to convince her to bite the bullet and get a smart phone!

wine man

JBA6.. fair enough but I assumed that any phone with some form of message facility would have some setting options - which by the sound of it have been accidentally changed hence the sudden charges.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
My guess is that either someone is sending her emojis in the message, or she may be doing that herself. Those are incompatible with SMS and will turn the message into an MMS. LOL I has been a very long time ago since I used just plain SMS for messaging...

razy60

Also check the contract she has as it's possible free texting has been removed.

mathemagic

Novice Member
She is on PAYG so normally paid a small amount of pence for each text. I'll be visiting in about a week so can see if I can sort then.

To avoid this, consider changing her provider to one that includes calls, texts and mms in a single monthly fee.
I use Smarty for the kids and me, the cheapest plan is £6 per month.

the above referral link includes free 2nd month and extra £15 account credit

mathemagic

Novice Member
That's what I'm hoping to do / convince her to do when I visit - with the basic phone she missed so much during lockdown without being able to video call etc.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom