Basic PCH 200 issues

atomicjake

Standard Member
Hi all. Just recieved a Popcorn Hour C-200.
Plug into network, powered up and plugged into my HDTV. i got a load of different types of film files on my Win7 PC (mkv, mp4, avi). But the PCH always comes up with 'Could not play'. It finds them fine, but cannot play them.

My PS3 plays these no problems when i stream from the PC with PS3 media server.

The PC shows the PCH on the network and iv'e set to allow all.

Latest firmware is installed.

I've bought a Samsung HD105SI F3 EcoGreen 1TB SATA ton install when its delivered but for now i cant seem to stream any movies.

It can find all my pictures and music and play them.

any help please?

Rom

first, if you have a USB pen drive, copy the files to a USB drive and plug into the C-200 and try to play them from there. This will rule out whether the files are OK or not.

If they play fine then I can almost guarantee that it is win7 that is stopping the playback as Win7 is notoriously fussy with network connections. I bought a NAS to get my PC out of the equation (sorry, I know this does not help you).

Your PS3 is being served by the Win7 PC so will work fine. I suspect you are just using networking to browse to the Win7 PC which is where Win7 is refusing access. Check your firewall settings, check the account you are using to access from the PCH is enabled and has access to the shared folders on your PC.

Other than that, if it does not work still I will have to try my Win7 PC to see what needs to be set. But basically Win7 networking has been re-worked by MS and imo they have made it a ball ache.

atomicjake

Standard Member
but if the audio and jpeg files play fine shouldnt that mean there isnt a problem with the network? seeing as its all 'librarys' on win7?

both are plugged into a 4 port router and when i access the router through the pc i can see both ip addresses.

the problem just seems to be aimed at the video files.

atomicjake

Standard Member
a 699MB size AVI file works if i use a memory stick. but its only a 1bg size stick so i cant try a bigger size mkv or mp4.

jagr

Hi Jake,

I take it you are using Windows 7 Home Premium?

That's the fault as Microsoft took out 'Local Policies' from the control panel.

The way round I used is:

1: Find your share folder
2: Right click
3: Share with specific people
4: guest (type that name in)
5: Add
6: Share

That should now work

atomicjake

Standard Member
i think i'm on the verge of sharing my entire pc to the rest of the world...

windows 7 professional 'm using mainly because its supposed to be easy to network.

if can find all the video files, its when i go to play it by pressing enter on the remote, it comes up in the top right hand corner ' could not play'

do i need some sort of memory in the PCH to buffer the size of the file?

jagr

do i need some sort of memory in the PCH to buffer the size of the file?
No

You have to make sure you are sharing individual folders not whole drives.

atomicjake

Standard Member
Ok, im sure im sharing there is to share.

i CAN see all the files that there is on my PC through the PCH including videos, music and pictures.
i CAN play all mp3's and open all pictures.
i CANNOT play and of the video files no matter what size/ file ofrmat it may be.

my PC can see the PCH on the network and my PCH can see the PC.

everything is as it should be i assume apart from the fact it wont stream any video file. even though it will play an AVI file i put on a USB stick.

atomicjake

Standard Member
Oh my god thats bizzare. after uninstalling windows live sign in assistant it works fine. thats pretty random isnt it?

Thanks for the info though. Gobsmacked

jagr

Oh my god thats bizzare. after uninstalling windows live sign in assistant it works fine. thats pretty random isnt it?

Thanks for the info though. Gobsmacked
Glad it worked

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom