Basic package for speakers amp ect

Darren2012

Standard Member
Hi all
So took the plunge bought a projector Optoma HD141X Full HD 3D 1080p Projector
Looking about a screen at present,
But was wondering on which audio package to go for
Wanting a basic package at the moment it will be running ps4 Amazon tv so gaming and films

Room will be 4-5 meters wide
And length can be 6/7/8 meters as I have just to divide the room off.

Apologise if this is in the wrong thread, not sure where to ask?

Thanks complete newbie on these matters!! [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Whats your budget?
Do you want full surround?
Do you want 5.1 or 7.1 if you want surround?
What about the new Atmos formats etc?
Ant preferences on speaker size/colour etc?
Question at the moment is just too generic and wide to be able to suggest anything.

Darren2012

Standard Member
Sorry sorry yeh vary vague! [emoji85]
Would like 5.1 speaker size to be discreet don't want massive speakers in the corner no preference on colour
I havnt looked at any packages yet PSM1 best place to look!?
Will look at the atmos now

sounddog

A starting point might be to look at http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/speakers/speaker-packages or Home Cinema Speaker Packages at Superfi

That will give you some ideas on what is available, sizes, colour, etc.

Generally small speakers (which are known as satellite) will be of lower quality than a full sized speaker, and generally you get the sound quality relative to the price you pay. And full sized speakers can be of stand mount or floor standing variety. You also don't have to buy a complete package and you could (for example) go for larger floor standing speakers and a matching centre and then use smaller satellite speakers for the rears.

In addition to the speakers, you will also require a AV Receiver. This will take inputs from all your sources and feed out to your projector and the speakers. As you go for a more accomplished set of speakers you will find you want a more accomplished receiver. As a very basic calculation you are likely to spend 1.5 - 3 times the cost of the AV receiver on speakers to get the best out of the receiver.

I would look to be spending around £450-500 on a speaker package such as Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 Pack | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds and then add a receiver such as YAMAHA RXV379Black AV Receiver for another £250. There are more basic speaker packages such as TANNOY SFX5.1Black 5.1 Speaker Package from around £180 which you could couple with last years (but still good) YAMAHA RXV377Black AV Receiver for £150.

Just a couple of examples.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom