Question Basic Outdoor Projection Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JHWright, May 23, 2018.

1. JHWright

JHWright
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I’m looking at the fisability of projecting some of the upcoming World Cup games in the garden. Having never looked into projectors/screens etc. before I’d appreciate some (fairly entry level!) assistance so I have some level of confidence I’m heading in the right direction!

Garden: it’s a courtyard for a townhouse so it’s small but shady. There is a two storey wall opposite the house so my plan was to hang a pj screen from that wall and project from the house, either from the ground floor or first floor, whichever works better. The distance between house and wall is approximately 5 meters.
      So my initial thoughts are being outside is the glare/light a losing battle? The screen will be fixed to wall so there is no backlight which I assume is a good thing. The screen won’t be in direct sunlight, but if it’s a bright day would this still be an problem? I’m recalling days of my youth trying to watch tele in the garden and it being a complete non-starter!

Projector: this is where I show my ignorance! All my viewing inside is from my HD Sky Q box. I’ve got boxes in various rooms so getting the source to a projector shouldn’t be an issue. I assume you feed the pj via an HDMI input the same way you would a TV. Can you recommend a make/model that would be suitable for my needs? As this is a temporary set up I’m happy to rent/borrow/buy 2nd hand but need to know what I’m looking for first.

Screen: again, these seem to vary a LOT! Same applies in that it’s a temporary set up so prefer not to spend loads unless I can get something perfectly suitable for a decent price. I can fix directly to a wall so something that can hang from fixings would be ideal. I’d want the screen as big as possible bearing in mind the projector is no more than 5 meters away and the viewing distance will be less than this.

Sound: is this output from the projector or from the source (Sky Box)? I’ve a decent Bluetooth speaker/standard Sonos set-up/Bluetooth soundbar etc. so assume these would do the trick.

Budget: as this is a temporary set up I don’t want to break the bank. But as always I’d rather pay a bit more and have something that works rather than get some cheap Chinese stuff off eBay and find it unusable. If I could do everything for no more than £200 that would be good. As I say, happy to hire/buy second hand and don’t need the best stuff out there, just something that will do the job well. Would consider buying new to sell on second hand later if that’s the way to do it.

Appreciate any comments/help.

2. mick24402400

mick24402400

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      You would be lucky to get some thing in the 2k range to light up in an out side enviroment

3. mick24402400

mick24402400

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      Unless you plan to record world cup matches and show after midnight

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
      Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,260
      Unless all of the games you wish to view are very late in the evening I'd forget it and make the most of your indoor setup.

Joe

5. Goodmane

Goodmane

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      The Epsons are bright. A used tw3200 or even better 3600 might be found for a few hundred pounds used. But as stated above you are going to struggle unless it's dark outside. I've seen some people use medium grey screens mixed with silver paint to help defeat ambient light. You'd need a short throw distance (reducing screen size options) and a new lamp on full dynamic brightness probably, and as stated it would need to be dark -or at least dim- outside.

It might be fun but I think it would be more fun for movies in a big garden to entertain children at a bbq or something.

6. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,221
      As above, you’ve got no hope of offering anything decent for x10 of your budget.

It’s a great idea in theory, but outdoor projector setups have a number of issues before you can even consider offering a semi decent picture or sound.

Stick to a BBQ outside and watching the games inside.

7. Goodmane

Goodmane

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      As above.

But if you have low expectations on quality, size and ambient light, it looks like you can get a workable picture with paints or some kind of screen. Mix 50% of dark grey emulsion and reflective silver paint shouldn't look much different to this I would think?

OLED TV LIKE OUTDOOR BLACK PROJECTION SCREEN...

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,260
      I'll be showing the UEFA Champions League tomorrow night to a group of around sixty at our local Community Centre with my 5,500 Lumen Epson EB-G7000 series unit (similar set up attached) without the blinds closed the image would be washed out at the time the game is played.

As above if you have a big bright projector you can try constructing an ambient light rejecting screen - if you can borrow a Projector you can have a play around of an evening to judge the size of image you will require for the expected audience size.

Joe

Attached Files:

9. MikeTheBike2010

MikeTheBike2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +122
      We do this a couple of times each summer.

I have an old roll down screen I attach to the garden wall.

Old surround amp goes into the greenhouse / lean to which has power and feeds a 5.0 selection of old speakers around the audience who bring their own chairs.

Pic is provided by an old “1000” Panasonic LCD PJ (it dates from around 2002, is standard def and doesn’t owe me anything.

We wait until dusk then pop on a DVD and 7 foot film delights the invited audience. Despite the ancient bulb a perfectly viewable picture is visible from dusk onwards?

Most difficult decision is which film to show!

So far

Blues Bros
      Back to The Future
      Cinema Paradiso
      Grease

Have all gone down well.

Hoping to show Hunt for Wilderpeople and the Proclaimers ones this summer.

Go for it, it’s great fun.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,260
      'We wait until dusk then pop on a DVD and 7 foot film delights the invited audience' - that is the tricky bit with big sports events, you can't 'Time Shift' unless you lock everyone indoors for a couple of hours and ban all Media Feeds :)

Joe

PS 'The Commitments' is another good Movie option.

11. MikeTheBike2010

MikeTheBike2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +122
      Absolutely right.

Great film suggestion (once went to see Akan Parker interviewed in Brighton but has forgotten that one). One of the benefits of everything being SD and out of date is that any film we want to source on DVD costs peanuts on eBay!

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,260