Question Basic multi-zone / multi-source?

davotoula

Standard Member
Hello most knowledgeable forum members.

I have a basic multi-zone / multi-source requirement:

2 rooms
2 ceiling speakers in each room (e.g. Cambridge Audio)
Already wired with speaker cables to a central location (cupboard)

I'm looking for an amp that can drive the 2 zones, ideally with 2 different sources.

I'm planning to use external music streamers like Google Cast but not against amp that supports Spotify directly.

davotoula

Standard Member
Thanks for the tip.

I was under the impression that that musiccast requires yamaha (wireless) speakers whereas I already have wired speakers.

Will look into it.

AV COM

AVForums Sponsor
Thanks for the tip.

I was under the impression that that musiccast requires yamaha (wireless) speakers whereas I already have wired speakers.

Will look into it.
Yamaha have a lot of products that come under the MusicCast umbrella. The above is just an integrated amplifier/receiver. You can add any speakers you like to it. They do have the WXA streaming amplifier and WXC streaming processor (for adding to basic amps to give MusicCast capability). Currently we think Yamaha are top of the game in terms of streaming and casting between devices across the home network.

davotoula

Standard Member
Thank you for pointing me to the WXA amps, a great form factor.

The price is very high (£430) considering I would need two to drive 2 different rooms? I might as well go with the Denon Heos HS2 which is cheaper at £399 (any major differences besides what app to use?).

Why isn't something like Yamaha RXV581 sufficient? Even if I have to do 2 different sources in the 2 zones the price is very good (£299).

thank you for your time AudioVisualOnline

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'I'm looking for an amp that can drive the 2 zones, ideally with 2 different sources.' - your Source requirement is key to defining what will do what you require.

Many Dual Zone AVR's are not as straightforward as you would presume - with Zone 2 often only supporting Stereo Audio sources connected to the AVR via a 2RCA cable.

The usability of the control App is also important - assuming it is not just you using the system!

Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
'I'm looking for an amp that can drive the 2 zones, ideally with 2 different sources.' - your Source requirement is key to defining what will do what you require.

Many Dual Zone AVR's are not as straightforward as you would presume - with Zone 2 often only supporting Stereo Audio sources connected to the AVR via a 2RCA cable.

The usability of the control App is also important - assuming it is not just you using the system!

Joe

Most receivers do now fascilitate any source irrespective of how they are connected being accessible in additional audio zones. It is only the older models that restrict the source to analogue and or network sourced audio.

The manufacturers control, app can be used by another individual in another zone to control that zone independantly of the main zone.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Most receivers do now fascilitate any source irrespective of how they are connected being accessible in additional audio zones' - and not before time, advertising AVR's as dual zone and then having the restriction on Sources has caught a lot of folk out.

App - I was meaning not to underestimate how important the Usability of the App is and not assume they are all created equal.

Joe

AV COM

AVForums Sponsor
Thank you for pointing me to the WXA amps, a great form factor.

The price is very high (£430) considering I would need two to drive 2 different rooms? I might as well go with the Denon Heos HS2 which is cheaper at £399 (any major differences besides what app to use?).

Why isn't something like Yamaha RXV581 sufficient? Even if I have to do 2 different sources in the 2 zones the price is very good (£299).

thank you for your time AudioVisualOnline
You can indeed use a Yamaha AVR, and its a workable solution. Generally, in ceiling speakers are fairly easy to drive so the superior amplification of the dedicated 2 channel amps isnt always an absolute must. One of the reasons we tend to recommend the R-N602/R-N402 is that theyre a more cost effective solution. The Heos HS2 and WXA-50 amps are more targeted to the lifestyle/Sonos market. Not using the standard mass produced sized chassis and other factors like this does drive the cost of such devices up, but they do have their place.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom