• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Basic Laptop used as a media player

dantis

I have bought a very cheap, old laptop to use purely as a media player. I have a HTPC running Windows 7 with my music library on it, it is connected to my Windows 7 home network, so I can stream music wirelessly throughout the house using my other Wuindows 7 laptop.

However, I wanted a permanent laptop connected to external speakers to play on my patio area. I have the 2.1 surround system installed.

I didn't want to buy an expensive laptop just to sit in the garden all year round so I bought an old Packard Bell running XP. It currently has only 256Mb RAM but I have ordered 1Gb to upgrade it and a Wi-fi USB.

My question is how can I stream music to it from my library without Windows 7? I don't even need Windows at all as I will only be using the laptop for streaming, nothing else. I currently use XBMC as my media player.

I have a copy of Windows 7 but I don't think it will run even with the 1Gb of RAM, I am told it will probably keep buffering.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Have you though of XBMC under Linux (XBMCbunutu is a complete package)?
It's free so you can try it and if it doesn't work all you have lost is a little time.

dantis

Have you though of XBMC under Linux (XBMCbunutu is a complete package)?
It's free so you can try it and if it doesn't work all you have lost is a little time.

Sounds interesting, will my specs be enough to run it? My laptop has the AMD Sempron 1.8Ghz processor. Also, is it easy to set up?

Can I burn it to a CD and run it from there as I cannot boot from a flash drive, can I then leave XP on the hard drive?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom