Basic Instinct 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Now that it’s out in UHD people will be able to pause it at the usual place and check all the fine details strand by strand
You’d better have a good excuse if your better half walks in, not sure “I was just checking to see if AVF video detail review was accurate” will cut it …

Steelbook arrived today. Can’t wait to ahem… give it a rewatch. Still remember climbing up to highest shelf in my parents lounge to nab the VHS back in the day !

Those who've placed orders with HMV should be made aware that HMV don't at this point in time hold any stock of this title and are still awaiting their order with their supplier to be fulfilled. This means that it is extremely unlike you'll get a copy by Monday and HMV don't know when they will actually receive stocks?

HMV:
DOUGLAS, MICHAEL: SHARON STONE
BASIC INSTINCT: 3UHD
UHD

Due to a delay in receiving the stock from our suppliers we have so far been unable to dispatch this in time for it's original release date. Apologies for any disappointment that this may cause.

However, we have been assured that the stock is on its way and as soon as the shipment reaches our warehouse, we'll process and dispatch your order as soon as we can. You'll also receive a dispatch email to let you know when it's on its way.

Last edited:
Cheers for the review Cas, it’s on the list, glad to see it’s a decent transfer.

I’d like to see a few more of Michael’s back catalogue coming to UHD, Falling Down, The Game, Fatal Attraction, Traffic, even Romancing the stone …
I do agree, but am actually sat watching Falling Down now, and the 1080p version looks really nice. Can't wait for him to hit the burger bar for a breakfast.

Watched it tonight. Looks lovely. Surprised at the low bitrate in places then high in others. However it’s a great job and some great use of HDR . Lovely release all round and great to watch again

The erotic triller genre may have been long time dead in USA("Wild Things" the last decent title?), but there have been some good efforts in Europe- Almodovar's "The Skin I Live In", Ozon's "The Double Lover" and others. Hell, even Verhoeven's "Elle" can be added to that genre. BTW, I haven't gathered up the courage to watch "Stranger By The Lake" yet.

So there is still plenty of (arthouse)smut to arouse your cinematic sensibilities 😜

Those who've placed orders with HMV should be made aware that HMV don't at this point in time hold any stock of this title and are still awaiting their order with their supplier to be fulfilled. This means that it is extremely unlike you'll get a copy by Monday and HMV don't know when they will actually receive stocks?

Yeah, good point in general I'd avoid Base.com, Rarewaves.com too for preordering (that's why I never listed them even though they show/showed stock yesterday).

EntertainmentStore who have a good proven record still show stock www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164825380999

The Australia release seems to have been delayed until August and even removed from a few sites so I'll have to decide sharpish what I'm doing.

Sharon-Stone-Memoir-Excerpt-Embed04a.jpg

As for this great film, can anyone think of 2 actors who could play those leads now? Nobody comes to mind. Or even a director? Again nobody. This sort of big budget thriller is perhaps lost in the sands of time which makes it even more of a classic

Only Sharon could get away with that dress.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The erotic triller genre may have been long time dead in USA("Wild Things" the last decent title?), but there have been some good efforts in Europe- Almodovar's "The Skin I Live In", Ozon's "The Double Lover" and others. Hell, even Verhoeven's "Elle" can be added to that genre. BTW, I haven't gathered up the courage to watch "Stranger By The Lake" yet.

So there is still plenty of (arthouse)smut to arouse your cinematic sensibilities 😜
I found "The Skin I Live In" disturbing. I don't quite know what final verdict to give it, but I did sell it on rather quickly.

I've never seen this. All the hype over a beaver shot and, originally, people at work talking about freezing the video and/or how distorted the tape was at that scene due to, well, left me thinking how sad. It was like they'd never seen a naked woman before. But then this was in the days of there being something extra naughty about seeing pubic hair in a 'legit' film or video rental. I suppose there's still that buzz when it comes to TV/film nudity here in the UK; which got helped by (mad bat) Mary Whitehouse, our continuing censorial rulings and PC/wokeness, that wider Europe didn't suffer.
It's interesting how David Lynch went the other way with, for example, Mulholland Drive and had Laura Harring's money shot blurred out in cinema release and on disc to prevent salacious reasoning for viewing and to protect the actress from being uploaded to websites.
Now, though, this review has me more interested in seeing just how crazy and out there the film is overall and the UHD copy should make this a much more visually attractive and satisfying affair due to the style it was shot in. This certainly appears to be one that a streaming service would murder.

I've never seen this. All the hype over a beaver shot and, originally, people at work talking about freezing the video and/or how distorted the tape was at that scene due to, well, left me thinking how sad. It was like they'd never seen a naked woman before. But then this was in the days of there being something extra naughty about seeing pubic hair in a 'legit' film or video rental. I suppose there's still that buzz when it comes to TV/film nudity here in the UK; which got helped by (mad bat) Mary Whitehouse, our continuing censorial rulings and PC/wokeness, that wider Europe didn't suffer.
It's interesting how David Lynch went the other way with, for example, Mulholland Drive and had Laura Harring's money shot blurred out in cinema release and on disc to prevent salacious reasoning for viewing and to protect the actress from being uploaded to websites.
Now, though, this review has me more interested in seeing just how crazy and out there the film is overall and the UHD copy should make this a much more visually attractive and satisfying affair due to the style it was shot in. This certainly appears to be one that a streaming service would murder.

Its a very good suspense thriller in itself, which has been overshadowed by the beaver shot. Very stylish with excellent acting from a very charismatic Sharon Stone - almost literally having all the male characters eating out the palm of her hand. Caused a big stir with all the sex and violence but no-one should have been surprised given the director‘s penchant for it (and from his Dutch movies). It’s regarded as a Hitchcock homage, which works on that level for me. Stone is the ultimate icy blonde (she reminds me a bit of Kim Novak from Vertigo by the way she looks in the film) and I’m sure Hitch would have loved to put in all the stuff that Verhoeven does but wouldn‘T have gotten past the studio in those days.

Last edited:
Wasn't this the film that they introduced the pause button for?

The Collector's Edition appears to be already sold out everywhere?
Yes but laserdisc owners were happiest

willl they be releasing a standard 4k disc? dont really want to fork out for the special edition or eBay prices

willl they be releasing a standard 4k disc? dont really want to fork out for the special edition or eBay prices

It is ordinarilly the case that you'll get a more basic release a few months after the special edition and or the steel book options.

I remember discovering this film for the 1st time late one friday night after eurotrash was on channel 4. Those were the days.....
For all the hype surrounding that scene, there would be more risqué stuff on EuroTrash lol. Jesus that show was effed up,

Will wait for a vanilla release of this, but sad I missed out on the steelbook.

im sure the curtains were also visible, a good test for hdr and shadow detail

For all the hype surrounding that scene, there would be more risqué stuff on EuroTrash lol. Jesus that show was effed up,

Will wait for a vanilla release of this, but sad I missed out on the steelbook.
True but it’s just for older folk like myself who were about when the theatrical release came out you have to remember it was an iconic scene. It’s a great movie first and foremost and it’s been done justice here.

So just to be absolutely 100% sure, is the DTS HD-MA 5.1 track on this definitely new and not same 5.1 track on the blu ray and DVD releases (which were all actually 5.0 tracks in effect as nothing was encoded to the LFE channel)?

So just to be absolutely 100% sure, is the DTS HD-MA 5.1 track on this definitely new and not same 5.1 track on the blu ray and DVD releases (which were all actually 5.0 tracks in effect as nothing was encoded to the LFE channel)?
Yep

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom