Basic Instinct 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Nice review Cas one of my favs from the 90s. I still remember seeing it in the Odeon.

I'll be buying the plain Australia release not keen on the UK tat or Steelbooks.

Will watch it the day it arrives.

basic1.jpg

basic04.jpg

basic05.jpg

Wasn't this the film that they introduced the pause button for?

The Collector's Edition appears to be already sold out everywhere?

Great review. I’m really looking forward to watching this one again. Must be 20+ years. I ordered the Steelbook so just hope it arrives dent/scratch free as it’s long sold out

The Steelbook arrived. It’s rather lovely
6BDCF070-AC12-45BC-A9A7-DE5DC89BF139.jpeg

Wasn't this the film that they introduced the pause button for?

The Collector's Edition appears to be already sold out everywhere?
This movie contributed to the increased amount of knackered VCRs on the scrap heap. Play, pause, rewind and repeat.

Great review, stoked for a rewatch of this. Love the point you make about it owning and also shutting down the whole genre.

Is there a standard UHD disc coming as well? Want to watch but not really bothered about the £40 version. Can't see a standard release anywhere.

Is there a standard UHD disc coming as well? Want to watch but not really bothered about the £40 version. Can't see a standard release anywhere.

There will be at some point but not announced yet, SC like to do a Limited Edition/Steelbook first.

There will be at some point but not announced yet, SC like to do a Limited Edition/Steelbook first.
I see thanks, so the best option was to grab the Zavvi steelbook at £24.99, but too late for that now, so I'll wait it out! Still got a backlog of 100+ films to get through anyway.

Thanks for the review Cas! Got my steelbook today, love the design. I dearly hope the HDR version of this is better than Total Recall, although I do have access to DV also now.

I remember discovering this film for the 1st time late one friday night after eurotrash was on channel 4. Those were the days.....

Cheers for the review Cas, it’s on the list, glad to see it’s a decent transfer.

I’d like to see a few more of Michael’s back catalogue coming to UHD, Falling Down, The Game, Fatal Attraction, Traffic, even Romancing the stone …

Eurotrash and The Word, the golden days of Channel 4!
Instant deep throaty voice stating The Word ringing in my head :)
Terry whathisface was always good entertainment on that show

It is me or does Michael Douglas look like Michael Myers on that poster?
Neither of them look quite right in that image though! :eek:

Anyway - thanks for the review Cas. I don't mind admitting I quite like this film, and not just for "the obvious reason". I saw it at the cinema when it was released and wondered going in how far into the film it'd have to go to earn its 18 certificate. Not that long... :rotfl:

Is this a Studio Canal/Verhoeven release that they've managed to get right then (w.r.t. the macro blocking "issues" with Total Recall)?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom