Basic Instinct 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Watched this last night. Fun movie. Felt a bit long but it moves along at a fair old pace. Deffo a keeper as I feel rewatch ability is pretty good.

Transfer was decent but I wouldn't say AAA. Felt a bit hot (no idea if that was the original intention) and it’s defo had some grain management done.

Some of the indoor scenes (nightclub) were arguably more impressive than some sunny outdoor scenes. Not the norm.

No matter. It’ll do. The Steelbook will (just) be elevated to getting its own stand and sitting on the shelf with my other SB keepers.

Marv

Watching this reminded me what a great actor Michael Douglas is. Makes me want to rematch Wall Street and Black Rain.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Watching this reminded me what a great actor Michael Douglas is. Makes me want to rematch Wall Street and Black Rain.
Black Rain is absolutely due a 4K upgrade! Michael Douglas has done some terrific stuff, along with Wall Street we’ve got Romancing The Stone, War Of The Roses, Falling Down..the list goes on. A proper living legend!

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Amen. Would buy all those on 4K. Black Rain would be awesome. If I could have just one Douglas movie on 4K, that would be it.

Marv

Well its down to Paramount as they are not licensing out anymore of their titles to other labels anymore including Criterion (not that they are on the UHD train yet anyway) in the US at the moment. Any currant deals in place are only for BD's Paramount want to handle all of their own UHDs at the moment.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Disappointed with the picture quality. Night and day for sure compared to the previous releases and the best it has ever looked but it's got a bit too much DNR and bad teal colour grading in many places Same with Serpico. I couldn't spot any macrobocking like Total Recall but Sewage Canal is not doing a good job with encoding. This one is 70 Mbps and has a full fat 15 Mobs DV FEL but yet it's DNR'ed and compression falls apart due to many 10 minus Mbps dips.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Disappointed with the picture quality. Night and day for sure compared to the previous releases and the best it has ever looked but it's got a bit too much DNR and bad teal colour grading in many places Same with Serpico. I couldn't spot any macrobocking like Total Recall but Sewage Canal is not doing a good job with encoding. This one is 70 Mbps and has a full fat 15 Mobs DV FEL but yet it's DNR'ed and compression falls apart due to many 10 minus Mbps dips.
It’s so frustrating, they’ve got some superb titles in their catalogue but it seems like half of the titles have issues, like The Fog, Total Recall and now this. I’m pleased this doesn’t have the bitrate drops of Total Recall though, they were so detrimental to the image in places. Is it the same thing here in that the BR doesn’t drop the quality as much?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
It’s so frustrating, they’ve got some superb titles in their catalogue but it seems like half of the titles have issues, like The Fog, Total Recall and now this. I’m pleased this doesn’t have the bitrate drops of Total Recall though, they were so detrimental to the image in places. Is it the same thing here in that the BR doesn’t drop the quality as much?

Courtesy: MisterXDTV @ Blu-ray forums

Look for dips under 15 Mbps

Personally I didn't find any macroblocking (pardon my aging eyes) but the colour grading is bad and the DNR is a bit too much. The DNR is only on select scenes.

This and Serpico share similar characteristics.

4K HDR10

4K DV

1080p (Remastered BD)

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
This needs a nice Italian version as with Total Recall.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

I know for a fact that when I had the version from Sky Movies back in 1994 that the Audio of the final stage of when Nick & Beth have their intimate scene that the movies score takes over, though you clearly hear Beth, has this been omitted permenantly on all versions, I got original Blu Ray release and I'm sure it's also been edited out.

Looking at the 4K so far, they've done a great job, not sure if the Audio Mix is more dynamic or not.

I love BI for its terrible acting and ridiculous antics of MD as well as the script.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom