1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

basic installation problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by apemanmurray, Oct 3, 2003.

1. apemanmurray

apemanmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Barco G801s. I simply didn't understand how difficult it would be to set-up. :confused:

Going to give it another go this weekend (if anyone knows where i can find a dummys guide to a basic installation please let me know!), but thinking i might have to get someone out to do it for me.

Anyway does anyone know of people in the london area that do installation, also preferabley someone who isn't going to finacially cripple me.

Bit embarrashing coming on here with everyone seeming like experts - but i'm in need of help!

thanks
    mike

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    if you dont have the manuals, then get them here!
    You need the 800 installation and owners manuals - they are applicable to 801 PJs

i used them as reference for setting up my 801s. there are loads of threads on here about setting up projectors, and a lot of it is applicable to any CRT PJ. Very briefly, the 801 should be set up roughly as follows:

Physical: Make sure its in the right place and square on to the screen - anything wrong here will be magnified and make convergence etc much harder later on. A tape measure is the minimum requirement.

Optical: Use the installation menu to set focus, alignment etc of each tube physically.

Electronic: Use the guided menu which talks you through all the geometry adjustments, convergence etc. One tip, do this on the source you will actually use and use the genlocked pattern.

The manuals go through all of this with you, step by step and explain what each function does.
    In practice, you will learn more and more about setup as time goes on - you may find that you have to go through a few iterations of self-install before you understand all the parameters, how they work together and thus get a good result.

Always make sure that the image never goes off the tube face else you may lose a tube. You can check that by looking into each tube, turn down the contrast though before you do =) If you have 5mm clearance between the image and the edge of the phosphor, then you are well on the way.

Good luck if you choose to go ahead by yourself - it isnt impossible and there are plenty of ppl here ready to help you.

Chris :)

3. apemanmurray

apemanmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help, i've got a manual, and i understand parts. but i've got that fear i'm bound to do something wrong and blow a tube!

Well i'll see how i get on over the weekend - and no doubt i'll be back next week asking more questions.