Basic Hi-Fi Advice Required.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Julian Brown, Apr 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Julian Brown

Julian Brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My current entertainment set up is as follows: LG 42LH7000 HDTV, Humax Foxsat HDR box running Freesat, Pioneer X-HM81-K Hi-Fi, Apple MacBook Air laptop with Superdrive for playing CDs etc and an Apple iPhone 6 Plus.

I want an easy to use (there are non-techies in the house!) hi-fi system maybe linked to the TV on which I can access normal radio stations, internet radio, my Apple Music, physical CDs etc. etc. Ease of set up and ease of use are the most important factors.

I have considered a Sonos Playbar and a Bose system but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    I'm slightly confused by this statement -

" ...hi-fi system maybe linked to the TV on which I can access normal radio stations, internet radio, my Apple Music, physical CDs etc. etc..."

It implies you want all these features on the TV. I assume you want all those features on an Amp.

Do you want an Amp similar to the one you have, a one-amp-does-it-all?

How much are you willing to spend to get it? BUDGET?

Probably the closest to what you have would be the Marantz -

Marantz MCR611 Melody Media Player Networked Mini System - Superfi

Marantz UK | M-CR611 Melody Media

The Marantz probably has the best power in this class of amp. It also has just about every feature you could want. Especially if you are looking for a compact amp.

It has FM/DAB/DAB+, it has wire Network Streaming, also Bluetooth Streaming, Optical inputs, and more.

All these Mini-Amps have low power, but as this type of amp goes, the Marantz has a real 35w/ch which would be considered on the high side for Mini-Amps.

However, if you are looking of a more powerful full sized amp, though without CD, then consider these -

Peter Tyson -Yamaha R-N602 Network Receiver - £399

Peter Tyson - Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver - £399

FM/DAB become less significant when you have Internet Radio and Streaming services. But for local news and weather, the two amps above do have FM.

There is supposedly a Pioneer SX-N30DAB version, but I haven't seen it yet.

These would require an external CD Player, and that would be in the £200 to perhaps £300 range.

Peter Tyson - Pioneer CD Players

Peter Tyson - Yamaha CD Players

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

3. rushtemples

rushtemples
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, new to the forum. I'm sure this is an old question but looking for some further clarification and possible answers. Bought my first Bluray audio disc. Elton John "goodbye ybr". I have and old Sony 5000ES pre hdmi. Toss link from Samsung d6500 to the Sony for audio, component for video as my projector is only 1080i at this point. From what I've gathered on various sites I can only push 48khz over optical for copyright purposes? 48 is what my display shows. It sounds terrific as it is, and I don't want to get into a discussion of the merits of 44 vs 48 vs 96 etc, just want to hear for myself and decide if I feel it's worth buying back catalogs of music I already own three times over.
    What's my best option without buying a new AVR? Love the old Sony. Powerful and sounds great. Btw, speakers and new Revel Concerta II F36's matching center channel, deftech supercube 8000 front sub and super cube III mid room sub. Thanks.

4. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Hi, You need to start your own thread.
    Reply Posts on here will be for the OP.

Julian Brown, +1 for the 611 as that is closest to the requirements that I can see.

But as said a budget needs to be known then other suggestions Can be given.
    Will speakers also be required?