1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic help needed!! HD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Lyndon, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Lyndon

Lyndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I am talking basic stuff.

I have a Sagem D50 model. 2 months old. I have connected it up to the Arial as suggested it found all the channels, and everything works fine as a TV.

I have also connected a DVD player through Scart 1 and I can play DVD's. At this stage what else can I do?
    I have read many threads and simply get lost on the jargon. What is RGB, Progressive Scan!!

How can I progress to benefit from the HD?
    Where can I get HD broadcast that I am able to watch?
    Do I need more equipment?

I do not think I have seen the TV in HD mode yet, even at demo.
    I would like to learn more. Please help and keep things simple.

Thanks in anticipation

2. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ok basically it looks like you are connected via composite on your dvd connection. You need to find out if your dvd player outputs rgb, if it does then you probably can enable it through the dvd setup (it may already be enabled by default) As for the tv side it wont need to be set to pick up rgb from the dvd player it will just do it automatically.

As for progressive scan again its down to your dvd player but this only works through component cables i think. Meaning you need an RGB seperate cable setup from dvd to tv (ie 3 cables). but obviously your dvd player nees to support this.

As for HD, the only true hidef dvd material you can get now is through your pc, so you have to connect your pc up to your tv and stream demo's or films like that. There are hi def films available but the only way i know of obtaining them involves usenet and i wont go any further witht that.

You can get a dvd player to scale up the output but im not that clued up on this side of things. In effect though the source dvd is still not true hidef,the player just scales it up.

For true hidef dvd players etc it will be 4th quarter this year and into 2006 before blu-ray comes in and the discs can hold alot more than 4.6 gig. Until then your best bet is sky via rgb and a dvd player with component out and progressive scan.

3. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I am talking basic stuff.

I have a Sagem D50 model. 2 months old. I have connected it up to the Arial as suggested it found all the channels, and everything works fine as a TV.

I have also connected a DVD player through Scart 1 and I can play DVD's. At this stage what else can I do?

Well that depends on what you’ve got Sky or sky+ game consoles like Xbox or PS2

I have read many threads and simply get lost on the jargon. What is RGB, Progressive Scan!!
    S video is a video connection as is rgb and component and the consensus is that S, then rgb and component is best. Progressive scan now that’s a question usually the better dvd players output a picture that if your television is capable of accepting a progressively scanned video signal, you may wish to use the progressive video output as it gives a much better picture
    How can I progress to benefit from the HD?
    At the moment some satellite stations do HD but I think sky are planning HD broadcasting in 06 .

4. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  5. Lyndon

Lyndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

Thanks for the replies so far,

I have read up on the DVD player and can confirm it supports the formats you mentioned, RGB, Progressive scan.

It is set by default to RGB.
    As far as the Pc is concerened, do I just connect my laptop upto the DVI input on the rear of the set and play the DVD (bit thick or what, sorry I have no idea)

Also I will look into the Sky option, but I have read about the Sagem 50 not being able to accept the HD Sky when it comes, but some users say it will connect to the DVI socket on the back of the set? without any problems,any ideas.

Thanks for all you time!

6. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Give it a go with the laptop, you may, might be wrong here have to change some setting in the ghaphics card have a look in www.windowsmedia.com for some content.