• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Basic GPU 'light' Gaming Laptop or no GPU and spend £££ elsewhere?

jenam93

Hi All

I am looking for a laptop for my son to do his schoolwork on, plus a little gaming on the side. At present the gaming aspect is mainly Minecraft Java edition and sometimes he runs this as a server for my daughter to also hook into, and occasionally a friend or 2 remotely. (Bare in mind he is currently using either a laptop that is a few years old with integrated graphics and only 4Gb RAM! or a postively ancient laptop with 8Gb RAM for this currently)

I was looking at this HP Pavilion Gaming 15-ec1001na Laptop - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 for £649 which has the following headline specs:
  • Windows 10 Home 64
  • AMD Ryzen™ 5 4600H (3.0 GHz base clock, up to 4.0 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)
  • 39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal FHD, IPS, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, 250 nits, 45% NTSC (1920 x 1080)
  • 8 GB memory; 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD storage
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR6 dedicated); Audio by Bang & Olufsen; HP Audio Boost; Fast Charge; Backlit keyboard; Faster 2x2 Wi-Fi®
I know the 1650 is about as basic a GPU you can get in a laptop but the budget is not really going to stretch past this and it seems you need to jump to at least £800+ for the next level of GPU, which is not going to happen.

Is it still better to go for the 1650, or spend the money on a laptop with integrated graphics but more RAM and/or better CPU?

Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

Jon

duncfunk

I have to say that's a pretty decent price for that laptop. AMD is currently the only real option for integrated graphics and to see any kind of saving you'd be stepping back to the 3000 series. Something like this:

They also have some models with a 3700U or 512GB SSD's for sub £500. It's almost impossible to find a laptop that comes with 16GB of RAM in this price range unfortunately. I currently use a 2500U HP laptop with the only game I play on it being Football Manager 20.

Like I said the HP you linked is good value but could be a little overkill for the use case described. If you think he might get into stuff like Fortnite or similar in the future then it becomes a better choice. Getting a 3000 based machine would save you £150-200 and may be better suited to the tasks in hand.

jenam93

Thanks for your reply and thoughts. :smashin:

My boy is 13 so no doubt his gaming preferences will change. As such I'm quite happy to go for something like this spec/price on the off chance it is needed in the not too distant future.

It is just my doubt over whether its worth getting the 1650 GPU, as its the entry level, or get a laptop without a GPU and expand the memory instead....

duncfunk

Even though the 1650 is an entry level gpu it's going to be far superior to integrated graphics (in the order of 2 - 3 times the perfromance in the case of a 3500U). If we're talking about gaming then you'll see very little benefit from upgrading to 16GB versus buying the 1650.

jenam93

Thanks again. I've just seen this Acer Nitro 5 with the same base specs but it has 512Gb SSD and a 144Hz screen....with £100 cashback on BNPL it works out the same price as the HP....

jenam93

Darn it, was all ready to order the Acer Nitro 5 but my Very account doesn't currently have BNPL active so I can't get the £100 cashback.... and that makes me not want to buy the HP either after knowing I could have had the 144hz screen and larger SSD for the same price.

jenam93

Hmm now...
Lenovo ideapad Gaming 3 15
Intel Core i5-10300H Processor ( 2.50GHz 8MB )
15.6"FHD, WVA, AntiGlare, LED Backlight, Narrow, Non-Touch, 120Hz 1920x1080
8.0GB DDR4-2933 DDR4 SODIMM 2933MHz
256GB SSD PCIe
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6

£80 off so down to 719.99 then allegedly another £80 off with a code making it £639.99.

Definitely tempting....

duncfunk

The i5-10300H is a 4 core compared to the 6 of the 4600U. Whilst the Intel cpu might edge it for gaming performance the Ryzen will absolutely destroy it for any other tasks.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom