Basic Garage Conversion... on a budget!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by pixels, Jul 5, 2015.

1. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Finally got planning permission to convert on internal garage to a Family/TV/Gaming/Boys Cave. I realise most threads in here are full of quality builds with the latest and most expensive gadgets and technology, but a) I can't afford all that stuff, b) I'm not massively into having the best of the best just for 1 small room and c) even if I did have some quality gear, I likely couldn't tell the difference anyway!

The room measures around 4.8m long and 2.5m wide and obviously plaster board will be going up etc to reduce the size further so it'll be somewhat snuggly, but it will serve its purpose. Also, it'll be handy if we want anyone to stay over as it can also double up as a guest room and since having kids all our 'spare' rooms are now taken!

I think quite a few people will be reading these threads with similar budgets and I'll be having a builder do all the work as I don't have a DIY bone in my body. I'll try to keep the thread up to date with progress, pictures and costs.

The quote for the work came in at £4,620 give or take a bit depending on cost of skips and the window, the other quotes I got were for £6,000 and ridiculously £9,900 which included cost of professional drawings for planning permission (I ended up making these up as I went along and got planning granted anyway).

Anyhoo, I'll get some pics as it stands now up shortly with work due to commence at the end of this coming week sometime.

2. aim-n-shoot

aim-n-shoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Look forward to seeing your project take shape

3. Coz22998

Coz22998
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,318
    Glad the PP came through mate - really looking forward to seeing the magic happen :thumbsup:

4. archie2000

archie2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Good luck with your build Baz.
    I managed mine on a modest budget with low to mid-range equipment, etc. but then I was able to do most of the work myself which helped enormously in keeping the costs down.
    I'll follow this thread with interest.

5. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    The build was meant to start back in February but requirement for PP has at least meant I can buy things spread over the last few months.

So far I've spent:

Shed (7'x4' to provide garden storage for lawnmowers, kids bikes, paint etc) - £585
    Planning Permission letter - £24
    Building Regs Initial Fee - £264
    6x Brushed Steel Power Socket Fascias and 1x Brushed Steel Light Switch Fascia - £54
    Ikea Kallax 1x 4x2 Cube Storage & 1x 2x2 Cube Storage (White) - £65
    Homeplugs - £32
    Network Switch - £13
    Condenser Tumble Dryer (Vented TD was in the garage so needed replacing) - £244
    Sony HT-CT60 Soundbar - £79
    Dulux Grey 'Warm Pewter' Paint (5L) - £22

I make it a £1382 spend so far, with carpets inc. fitting and grippers etc estimated at £260, plaster prep paint probably another £30, Sofa bed around £400 (but the missus is potentially paying for this) and of course TV and TV stand still required but for that I'm waiting until the space is ready then I'll test my current 42" in there to get a feel for what size would be best. I'm imagining a similar viewing distance to the front room, but it'd be rude not to get a 48"er :)

I've still probably got £1000 spending money left after paying for the job to be done, so budget for the TV and stand will be around £600 max. PS4, SKY HD box and XBox 360 will be the other peripherals going in there but I already have those in the front room.

I don't really watch movies and if I do they'll be on BluRay, DVD or TV so thinking homeplugs will be ok to provide internet in there although another option I suppose is Ethernet out of the front room wall where sky cable comes in, route it along under the front door sill and into the new garage wall with the new sky cables.

The floor I believe is going to be floated on Kingspan and probably dot and dab plaster board internally onto the existing breezeblocks. Couple of things:

1) What is the best and neatest way of routing cables through the new dwarf wall and to the other end of the garage? Trunking above the skirting board or some kind of routing through the floor? Obviously it'll be easier replacing anything faulty if it's trunked externally to walls or floor I guess.

2) Re pre-preparing the skimmed plaster board. A guy in my local independant paint shop said if it's using dot and dab then I'll have to wait around 6 months after preping it before I can paint it properly???

Cheers

6. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    [​IMG]Garage by bazfoster, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garage by bazfoster, on Flickr

Unfortunately the stairs are boxed into the garage but that is where the TV is going to go in the gap at the right, and perhaps the 2x2 Kallax storage will go in the smaller gap to the left so probably only really extra storage space lost there.

Any ideas what I could do in this area to maximise storage. I was think about a couple of floating shelves above where the TV would be perhaps or even cupboarding in the gap to the left (As next door have done). Open to listening to ideas on this one :)

edit: I believe the depth of that overhang is over 1m

7. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Personally I wouldn't want to face the stairs looking like that, it would be too distracting.
    I would make it a flat wall with the TV mounted to it and the whole width of the room under the stairs as a mix of built in drawers/open shelving for the AV gear.

8. edd666999

edd666999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Id be tempted to sit at that side of the stairs? maybe have shelving put into that gap in the future as storage?

9. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    So anyway... this took an age to complete but we're nearly there now. Lights, window, radiator and doorway done. Basecoat on the plaster etc.

[​IMG]20150813_184852 by bazfoster, on Flickr

10. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Skirting, coving and walls painted. Power sockets and brush plate attached.
    [​IMG]DSCF6790 by bazfoster, on Flickr

11. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
  12. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Taken before the sofa was in, and still waiting for a new breaker to be installed before we can use the power sockets, but running an extension cable so the little lad can play Batman 3 on the PS4. Was going to use the Kallax units down the side of the room, but with it being so narrow anyway and with them fitting so perfectly across the bottom section, it now seems a better idea to use them as the media and storage units meaning the room doesn't feel as small as it would.

I also find it takes the eye away from the boxed in stairs section and has the same effect as boxing the whole wall in and mounting the TV, as mentioned earlier in the thread as a suggestion.

[​IMG]20150815_171833 by bazfoster, on Flickr

13. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Great job, looks very cosy :)

14. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,637
    What is your estimated total spend?

15. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    That is great looking room my friend, and a very ingenious use of space with the ikea storage. Well done sir. :thumbsup:
    :smashin::)

16. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,637
    Looking at this again, could you mount a retractable PJ screen on the ceiling in front of the stairs and just pull it down when you want to use it? Then you get a biiiiiig screen. [emoji106]

17. mr fixit

mr fixit
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi
    Great way of making the most out of an awkward protusion

Mr Fix It

18. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Can I ask about planning, do you need to have a window? If you have a door into the room is that not the escape route? I'm only asking as if I wanted to convert a garage I'd leave the door on as a facade from the front of the house and have a solid wall behind it, is this possible?

19. dave111

dave111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    looking good