Basic Gaming Rig advice

EdwinJ85

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade from my Core 2 quad q9300 system to something that will play games well. I can alreayd play BF3, crysis 3 and far cry but I'd like to run on high ish settings and be ready for other games coming out this year. This is my build so far:

What I already have:
500w coolermaster cpu
msi 1GB 7850
64gb OCZ SSD with OS on it and 500GB Kingston HDD with games etc on it.
old foxconn G31MX mobo with 4 GB of DDR 2 ram @ 800 mhz

What I want to add:
AMD FX 6300 using the stock cooler to save cash.
Asus M5A78L-M/ Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 mobo
Corsair 8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz Vengeance Memory twin sticks

I'm thinking I can do this all for about £200 pounds or so if I go with ebuyer. I have an old zoostorm case - would it be worth upgrading that? I don't want to spend too much more but I also want to leave room to upgrade later - I would like to put a better psu, gfx and cpu in at a later date so I can keep up with the games that will come out in a few years. Is the 6300 worth upgrading to from my core 2 quad?

Thanks everyone. :)

Last edited:

dacads

Would definitely make a nice upgrade mate, I wouldn't bother with a new case unless it's really necessary. I would also aim for a 990X/FX chipset motherboard if possible.

dacads

Well main difference is 990x supports x8 x8 for crossfire/sli and 990fx dual x16 whereas 970 is only x16 and x4. So only really matters if you're thinking of running 2 cards in the future :p Also 990 will of course have better overclocking ability

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom