Basic DVD recorder without hard disk?

Shugmaster

Standard Member
I need a DVD recorder just to download and keep programmes from my Sky HD+ box and then play them and also commercially produced DVDs. I don't think I need all the functionality and the hard disk of the recommended Best Buy £200+ DVD recorders. Is there anything on the market that will do what I want and cope with multiple DVD formats? I had a Lite-On LVW-5006 which worked fine till it gave up the ghost recently. All advice gratefully received.

Broadz

I doubt you will find a current DVD recorder which does not come with both a hard drive and DVD recording capabilties - because nobody would want such a thing. You might be able to find models three years old or older - similar to your LiteOn - on ebay, but if you want a new one with a warranty from wherever you buy it, you will have to buy one with a hard drive.

You certainly won't need to spend over £200 on one though.

Shugmaster

Standard Member
Thanks for this. As I'm just recording straight from the SkyHD+ box I'm not sure why I would need a hard disk in the DVD recorder but perhaps I'm missing something. Have you any suggestions of good DVD recorders that will accept a range of DVD formats and not cost £200. There's a bewildering array of options out there.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for this. As I'm just recording straight from the SkyHD+ box I'm not sure why I would need a hard disk in the DVD recorder but perhaps I'm missing something. Have you any suggestions of good DVD recorders that will accept a range of DVD formats and not cost £200. There's a bewildering array of options out there.
A hard disk provides a great many benefits which perhaps you wont realise until you have one... at which point you will never go back to being without one.

It provides reliability, convenience , editability, a collection buffer, a way of manipulating recordings otherwise not possible, an alternative quick access store...etc.

See if you can find a good price on a Panasonic EX773

Broadz

I'm not sure why I would need a hard disk in the DVD recorder but perhaps I'm missing something.
Just to elaborate slightly on Gav's suggestions:-

reliability
DVDRs rarely fail when recording to hard drive. Recording to DVD disc is another matter.

convenience
No need to think how much space you have on the hard drive, or what recording quality is required because of the length of the item being archived. Both need taking into consideration when recording to disc.

editability
The only way to edit out adverts when recording directly to DVD disc is by sitting waiting for the commercial breaks to kick in while the archiving is taking place, pressing pause when the commercials start and starting recording again when the commercials finish. With a hard drive, you edit them all out before dubbing to DVD disc.

a collection buffer
Say you want all six episodes of Blackadder 2 on one disc. Do you record one each week to DVD disc, take the disc out and put it away safely somewhere til next week? Or do you record each to the DVDR hard drive, then dub all six to DVD disc in one go? And if the DVD disc fails halfway through recording episode 3, you lose episodes 1 and 2 if recording direct to DVD disc. Not if recording to hard drive - cos you've got all six on hard drive until you choose to remove them once your DVD disc has been finalized.

Also, if you want to make three copies of the Blackadder 2 series, recording directly to DVD disc means playing each episode from your Sky+ box at least three times in real time to burn the three discs - nine hours. Archiving once to DVDR hard drive, then fast dubbing to DVD disc three times will take three hours and (maybe) twenty minutes. Saving over five hours.

an alternative quick access store
The Sky+ hard drive isn't the biggest PVR in the world. The hard drive on a DVD recorder gives you an alternative storage area which doesn't force you to archive to lots of alternative DVD discs with a maximum 4.7Gb space each.

Shugmaster

Standard Member
Wow - thanks for going to all the trouble of explaining the advantages of the hard drive in the DVDR. No doubt I'll learn from experience how useful it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom