Basic DVD player- Scart to component connection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Docjames, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Docjames

Docjames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings,

I have a basic View DVD Player 225H (Bought from Asda in the UK). It has AV connections (Red, Yellow and White) and one Scart connection. HD TV sets in Thailand do not have Scart connections, so I was thinking of using your Scart to component lead to hook my DVD player up via a component connection to the television. It is currently connected via the AV cables.

The TV in question is a Samsung 32inch Model No: LA32D400E1XXT and it has the required component connections and was purchased within the last six months. Do you think it might work? I am just trying to improve my picture quality a little!

Many Thanks
    Docjames:)

2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I would have thought the 3 for phono sockets that you mention ar for sterio sound and the lowest quality picture. I doubt if the scart gives a component picture. But it probably gives RGB and possibly SVHS.
    a scart socket has 21 pins if you Google it is assuming all the pins are connected in your player you can attach appropriate outputs to those pins. I do not know what anything costs where you are but it may be easier and better value to buy a new DVD player.

3. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I think the SCART socket only has a composite video output - ie exactly the same as is available on the yellow phono socket. Bear in mind this is a £13 DVD player, it's not exactly high-end! You would be wasting your time even if it did, as SCART supports RGB, but not component, so you still wouldn't be able to attach it to the component inputs of a HDTV.

4. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    How much is a basic HDMI enabled player in Thailand?

5. Docjames

Docjames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems you get what you pay for, but I was not going to take an expensive DVD player to Thailand. I suppose I was hoping there was some sort of AV to component lead available.

For my Nintendo Wii, they have third party component cables that plug in the back and improve the picture quality significantly, although obviously there is not the issue of having three AV connections as with the DVD player!

So, is there such a thing as an av (Red, yellow and white) to component lead/adaptor?

Many thanks people

p.s. In Thailand, although all the new televisions have component connections, all their leads in computer and electrical shops are AV, which I know date back to the VCR era!

6. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Even if you did convert composite (the yellow socket) to component, you would not improve the quality, because the thing that is limiting the quality is that it originates as composite video.

Honestly, there is nothing you can do to provide for a better quality component connection from that player. Put it in the bin and buy something more suitable. Your HDTV undoubtedly has a HDMI socket, just go and buy a cheap HDMI out DVD player then you will have a digital connection right the way through from disc to display.

7. Docjames

Docjames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for that. I should be able to get a relatively cheap DVD player with A HD connection next time I get back to England in a couple of years. I just wanted to exhaust all possible avenues with what have. I have a Thai DVD player with HD connections so I should be able to figure out a way to make that region free.

Ta

Craig:)

8. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Amazon UK will deliver to Thailand, won't they?

9. Docjames

Docjames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I think they do post out. But having got used to Thai TV reception, AV playback seems like bloody HD I can tell ya!

10. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    If you post the make and model number of your Thai player we might be able to find out how to region free it...