Basic, cheap reliable box info wanted

snooper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi i am after the above for my mother when the switchover happens in my area. Can anyone recommend me any to consider, but more importantly ones to avoid.

If you're simply after a Freeview receiver (not a recorder) then there's very little difference between them, and even the cheapest (eg from Argos or a supermarket) will work effectively. Most Freeview reception problems are caused by the digital signal being weak and/or the aerial being ineffective, rather than because of the box.

Bear in mind, that digital signal strength should be increased when analogue is switched off, so as long as your mum is happy with analogue. it might be best to wait until just before switch-off in your region to buy a Freeview box and test it out.

Hi i am after the above for my mother when the switchover happens in my area. Can anyone recommend me any to consider, but more importantly ones to avoid.

Make sure your mother's TV has a SCART socket. People are still running TVs pre-SCART. Boxes for this type of set are available.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom