Basic cheap NAS?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by superdon, Feb 21, 2013.

1. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Right. I was initially looking at a portable external drive, but have moved on a bit and now am thinking of a cheap NAS.

The reason I needed the external drive was to take on a big family holiday, so I can store all the video/photos easily. But, then when I get home I wouldnt really have much use for it, other than the obvious extra storage.

So. Are there any good cheap NAS that are pretty portable, but can be used like an external drive while I am away? I dont need remote access really, when its home it will just be used for backups and hosting media files to be played on our phones, ipads, Sonos and HTPC.

As for price. I keep saying cheap....I was looking to spend about £60 on an external HDD. Dont want to go much more than that really! 1tb is enough.

Any recommendations?

Have seen this one on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XFUXQK/

Any good? Can the drive itself be used via USB on my travels?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. whitestar96

whitestar96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
  3. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
  4. whitestar96

whitestar96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Ok, given your budget I still think you're probably better off buying a small external HD rather than trying to get portable NAS drive.

5. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Ok. What is the cheapest entry level NAS that you would recommend?

6. whitestar96

whitestar96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If you're going to go the NAS route I really suggest doing some research before buying. I'd also recomend assessing what you want to use it for & how much space you're likely to need, not just now but also 6 mpnths down the line.

But if you just want something for now then something like this: Netgear ReadyNAS Duo 2-Bay No Disk Desktop Network Storage System: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics which is currently just under a £100. Obviously you need to factor in the cost of a HD, but you can get 2TB drives for around £70

7. DaLP

DaLP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try Win7 buil-in UPnP function. Just turn it on, then you have a free NAS immediately.

8. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    But that means leaving the PC on all the time.

What I was thinking was a cheap second hand NAS and the also a portable drive. I can then run the NAS and run periodic backups to the portable drive and store it in my safe. Then, when I need the portable drive I can drag it out.

Reckon I can get the above for around £100.

Not perfect, but an ok solution?

9. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +688
    The Seagate GoFlex system is a HDD in a cartridge, which can be supplied with various interfaces, eg. NAS base, desktop base (USB2, USB3) and firewire.
    These are supposedly interchangeable, though I'm not sure if data can be retained through a swap.
    I have the NAS in 2Tb form and it is a good device for that, although it is around £100 for the 1Tb version.
    And looking for desktop interfaces, these may be more difficult to obtain in the UK than USA.

Having said that, if you are taking a laptop with LAN port to host the drive, the NAS network drive may well work anyway.

10. ThatLad

ThatLad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're looking for something that is small and portable but cheap, yet this type of tech scaled down to portable scale will usually increase the price. My advice is to use your existing portable hard drive for portable use and have a permanent NAS at home.

I've for the DLINK Sharecenter 320, cost me about £50 and then the hard drive on top. That's at home connected to the wifi, it connects well to all my devices (android phone, iphone, ipad, PS3, laptop, LG TV). I have an external hard drive that I can use to transport any large files when needed, the usual thumb drives for smaller files (or tranfer them from the NAS to my phone for transport), there's also the option of accessing the NAS remotely on a browser if I was away from home and really needed a file.

I think there's another drawback to having a NAS that you travel with, it's putting all your eggs in one basket. What if it was lost or damaged in travel? You mentioned photos so backups will be important

11. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,822
  12. DaLP

DaLP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Portable and Cheap !! I guess you are looking for this solution - "USB NAS Adapters"

It is a very simple idea, make an USB adapter comes with Network/Wireless ability.

"The biggest upside is that they are very affordable. USB NASes are typically under $100, ranging in price anywhere from $60 for basic NAS functionality to about $130 for advanced features like cloud-based remote access.... Some vendor states its USB 3.0 Adapter can handle up to 256 TB on an NTFS formatted drive and 128 petabytes on exFAT drives..."

13. badsleeper

badsleeper
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I know it's been a year since somebody last reply and quite possibly you've had find some excellent solution for your problem but I'd like to share mine nonetheless. If cheap is what you're after, I suggest in using an Option globesurfer X.1 which is actually a wifi router for USB modem but with printer and file sharing capabilities. I myself use it to share a 2 tb. external Hdd for movie and music streaming accessed via Android devices. It works fine so far, with some downsides, the biggest is that I can't find a player that can access my files directly since I haven't any slight idea of the protocol being used, so I usually open my movie/music files using file Explorer (I use xplore for the simplicity in LAN connection) and open it with external player. I'm open for suggestion concerning the matter.