1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic cable question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jezzialli, Feb 6, 2005.

1. jezzialli

jezzialli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm totally new to hifis so am wondering if someone can help me out regarding cables. I have a CD player and an amplifier. They came with a cable joining the amp and the CD player which has 2 plugs at each end, going into the 'L' and 'R' sockets of each item.

However, from what I've read, it's probably worth upgrading this. I understand I need something called an 'interconnect'. From looking at online shops it seems they only have one plug at each end (can someone confirm?). Therefore do I need two of these (i.e. one to go from the 'L' socket on the amp to the 'L' socket on the CD player, and another for the 'R' sockets)?

In case this helps, I have the NAD C352 and the NAD C542. There appears to be digital sockets on the CD player as well, so is it better if I use these?

Thanks in advance for any help on this basic question!

2. fotokina

fotokina
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using interconnect QED silver spiral 2 RCA (they always come in a pair) and I'm very happy with the quality. I will recommend you to use the analogue sockets instead of digital, imagine that somebody sing in front of you, is always the best. Digital give you '10101010' signal, and we sing in analogue signal not digital.

3. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    An interconnect cable will replace the one included in the box "to get you going". An analogue interconnect has a pair of RCA plugs on each end as per the existing cable.

Use the analogue connections on the CD player - the amp you have doesn't contain a DAC (digital to analogue convertor) so using the digital out wouldn't work anyway. The digital out is for upgrading to an offboard DAC in future or connecting to a digital recorder (eg minidisc).

Spend £20 to £30 on a replacement and you will be able to fully exploit the performance of the CD player and Amp. Above £30 you get rapidly diminishing returns for the extra outlay IMO.