Basic av setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Gazaman, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Hi all
    I'm wanting to hang my lcd on the wall but due to room size/shape(and lack of knowledge) i am pretty short on options.
    Anyway below is an idea thati am considering which i think would look ok.
    I am a complete novice at this sort of thing so any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.
    Points to note.
    The LCD will actually be on a arm bracket so it can be angled for all area visability.
    The wall will be built out using a wodden frame and plasterboard.
    All cavitys for av equipment will have downllights and i'm thinking of getting a light for behind the tv.
    Not 100% sure about the 2 gaps in the top(was gonna just stick a couple of downlights in for extra effect and to break up the bareness at the top).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When i have decided for sure how i want it i'll no doubt be back firing all sorts of questions at you guys.;)

Thanks alot
    Gaz

2. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Really not sure about the openings at the bottom for sky+,360 etc so was thinking maybe some smoked glass or something(have nowhere else i can put my equipment)

[​IMG]

3. Osakan

Osakan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, great sketchup!

Can I ask, why have you ruled out building the display into the chimney breast above the fire? Admittedly the higher screen location that putting it above the fire introduce is not great, but it may be better than squeezing it into the corner? There are lots of examples on here where you just put in a lintel towards the top of the chimney, and then mount the display in below that?

(We have the builders in at the moment, and have gone to the extreme of actually completely removing the chimney top to bottom, to free up some space in the lounge, we will then put it a wall mounted gas fire at some point in the future.)

4. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Hi
    I decided not to put it on the chimney breast for two reasons really.
    1.My house was built in the late 30's and therefore the walls are an absolute knightmare to chop out for wires etc.
    2.My room as actually quite small and my neighbour has a lcd mounted on his chimney breast and with the thickness of the tv and the bracket it sticks out about 150mm and to be honest it looks a bit 'in your face' if you know what i mean.

So i thought i could keep it nicely tucked away in the corner for when just me and the missus are in(or for when we're not watching the tv at all) and then have it extended out at an angle when we have guests.

I know what you mean though,if my room was bigger, i would definately have it in the centre.

Thanks
    Gary

5. Osakan

Osakan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    That explains it a little better to me. But why not actually set back <in> the chimney breast - that way it is centrally mounted, and does not take any additional space out of your room?

The reason I suggest this is that the sketchup picture suggests you have a gas fire, which doesn't need as much volume of extraction as a wood burning fire?

It would be a relatively simple job for a builder to "remodel" the chimney to accommodate the screen above the fire.

6. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    The fire on the wall doesn't need any extraction really because its electric so i suppose you could be on to something there.
    One of the reasons i chose the corner with an arm mount though was so that the screen would be clearly visable from all seats in the room.I think though that if i was to put the screen in the middle of the room it would be quite awkward to see it from the sofa on the right wall.

Oh no.........decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Gaz