• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Basic antenna/dish diplex wiring sense check

Koth

Standard Member
Afternoon folks

I was hoping somebody with a bit more experience of this stuff than me could give my sketch a quick sense check please? Basically, will this work?.....

upload_2015-11-3_13-27-10.png

Yay or nay will be more than adequate!

TIA
Koth

TJT1

Distinguished Member
The diplexers will have to be able to pass DC and the 22kHz signals from the freesat box to the LNB on the dish for this to stand any chance of working.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member

Koth

Standard Member
Yes but it would be easier to use a distribution unit (with diplexing 2 sat output wallplate in lounge) such as these
Labgear LDU604G 4 Way Home Distribution Unit

8 output ones are also available - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-LDU...59572&sr=1-1&keywords=distribution+amplifiers ( £1.47 cheaper)

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at the units that you linked to, this stuff will be loft mounted and I do not currently have a power source there so it's a no go.

Koth

Standard Member
The diplexers will have to be able to pass DC and the 22kHz signals from the freesat box to the LNB on the dish for this to stand any chance of working.

These are the diplexers that i bought:

upload_2015-11-18_8-59-39.png

They were £9. Mistake?

TJT1

Distinguished Member
But does it actually need two separately downleaded freeview aerial inputs? Regardless of the number of tuners, it is usually only necessary for one aerial connection with internal 'jumpers' between the various tuners. If your TV really has two aerial inputs, use one downlead and a splitter and use the cable so released for a direct connection between LNB and sat box. You don't need separate downleads from aerial to TV. Are you sure you are not confusing Terrestrial TV and satellite where you do (usually) need two feeders from box to LNB.
The TV has two Freeview tuners built in and USB recording which allows Sky+ style functionality.
So has mine, but it only requires/has one aerial input.

Last edited:

Koth

Standard Member
Good question. I will double check the specs. I haven't got the TV out of the box yet and cant remember what connections were on the back when I checked in the shop.

Koth

Standard Member
I've just checked and it does indeed have just the one RF input but two tuners. Thanks to those who questioned this as it now simplifies the cabling somewhat.

Will probably now run one 'shotgun' drop cable and diplex one line only.

TJT1

Distinguished Member
Thought that it would.
KISS. What's wrong with running twin sat cable from dish to sat box direct. TV then handled by a single two way splitter in the loft with its outputs feeding the bedroom and lounge TVs. Saving you on 4 diplexers. (or have you already spent £36 on them?)

What TV do you have. If it's a Samsung twin tuner set like mine, you are going to be bitterly disappointed with its PVR capability.:(

Last edited:

Koth

Standard Member
I bought 4 diplexers for £9 so I'm not bothered about that.

I may have an issue with the cable routing, there is currently a single cable running from the lounge and up through an upstairs bedroom into the loft. This cable is partially run through trunking and partially hidden behind plasterboard that has been 'dot and dabbed' to the wall so there is a possibility that cable will be difficult to pass through that area. I was planning on binding a 'shotgun' cable to the existing cable and pulling it through into the loft (with fingers crossed). Trying the same thing with two separate cables may be pushing my luck. Existing sat cables are slung over the roof and running down the outside of the house down a newly restored stone frontage and looks a complete mess. Alternative route for the sat cable via the rear of the house would be difficult to conceal the cables.

TJT1

Distinguished Member
Pull a bit of cord up through first. Then use it to pull down the Shotgun AND another bit of cord. Use the second bit of cord to pull down the WF100 for the TV. Obviously, if you can't pull the old one out, you will not be able to get the new ones through either. You might get lucky and be able to pull the shotgun and the WF100 at the same time, but leave a bit of cord in for possible 'future expansion'.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member

I may have an issue with the cable routing, there is currently a single cable running from the lounge and up through an upstairs bedroom into the loft. This cable is partially run through trunking and partially hidden behind plasterboard that has been 'dot and dabbed' to the wall so there is a possibility that cable will be difficult to pass through that area. ..

It is actually a big problem when you install trunking in a wall that it is protected from plasterers / builders & also it's made clear to plasterers / builders that the no materials are allowed to drop into the trunking.

But it's not easy to guarantee plaster etc doesn't end up down trunking when builders are busy getting on with their jobs, it's generally messy so it's better to seal them so it can't happen as well as point it out to them.

We've had it where the only work has been the chasing out of the plaster & wall to fit trunking and then a plasterer comes along a screws the whole job allowing plaster & debris into the trunking we've just installed.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom