1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic Amp questions.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kasparaitis, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an eltax avr-800 with an elax sub and 5 satellie speakers one of which is double the size of the others.

I have no real knowledge of amps and would love it if someone could answer these newbie questions.

1. Whats the point in me having a 6.1 channel amp when most films only have 5.1 sound?

1b.What exactly does the 6.1 mean anyway? Why .1?

2. Whats better dolby digital EX or DTS?

3. Sometimes when I play a dvd it says on my amp that it's using dolby digital and dolby pro logic 2. Whats that mean, it cant be using both can it?

4.How am i supposed to know at what volume to set my speakers? The rear right and rear left seemed quiet and so I turned them up a bit.

If anyone could answer any of those it would be great. :smashin: :smashin:

Thanks.
    Ed

2. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol thats a lot of questions i will see if i can help ya.

1a) because the av amp/receiver will convert it into 6 channels of sound so you get a better sound field

1b) the .1 means the subwoofer if you dont have a subwoofer then it isn't 5.1 or 6.1 or whatever

2) Your receiver should have both, but EX is for expanded surround for instance if you have a 5.1 dvd and you want to use all 6.1 then it will expand the sound to suit your speakers

3)Dolby Digital means that the av receiver is decoding it into digital using pro-logic 2

4) You weight the speakers so that you hear everything on the same volume and also weight them so the sound shoul arrive at your position when its supposed to for instence a gun being fired and then hearing it later on the rears, when it should be almost instant

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1. It's future proofing, but the straight answer is that there isn't really any point. There are a few movies that have the extended sound formats, but they are few and far between right now.

1b. It signifies the subwoofer

2. It's a personal choice. DTS is often higher bit rate than Dolby Digital, and it sound slighty different. Dolby EX I think has information for 6 and 7 channel surround, as does DTS-ES.

3. If the DVD is stereo only Pro Logic kicks in to add the surround sound effect.

4. Personal choice at the end of the day. Whatever sounds right to you. They're all meant to be at the same volume. There should be a test tone feature on your amp which you can gauge the sound levels on. It's best to use a sound meter, but you can do it by ear, or judge it by listening to movies and see what you like best.

Hope that helps a little :)

4. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the great info!

you have doubled my knowledge of amps!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last one I promise!

5. So the test tone should be the same amount of decibles for each speaker?

When the films playing should the same volume be coming from all around or should the majority of sound be coming from the front speakers especially the central?

5. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The test tones should all be the same. The majority of the sound from a film will come from the centre channel. Not a whole lot comes from the rears generally.

6. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tom thats what I hoped would be the case.