• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Basic amp question

milkmanchris

Looking at the Yamaha AV63, as an introduction to home cinema but can't seem to get my head round a simple concept

In a nut shell xconnections would be

SHYHD - AMP via HDMI and optical
360 - AMP via Component and composite
Wii - AMP via Component and composite
Xbox - AMP via Composite and composite

Then AMP - TV by HDMI (for sky) and Component (consoles) Composite (xbmc).

This is where I am lost, firstly I presume that whatever box is switched on will take priority through the amp (as in waht I will see on the TV)

Do I need to have the amp on all the time, say for example mrs wants tv on quiet when kids are in bed will it all just pass through the amp to the TV's speakers (I am guessing that the amp will be connected to the composite audio in on the TV)

Really lost, can anyone point me towards an idiots guide?

milkmanchris

Or Connect all the video as it is now and just use the amp for the sound inputs?

(that might of being the penny dropping)

YellowSphere

I'd go with the latter option. It's usually only worth routing video through the receiver if you really need to consolidate video connections onto less cables (i.e. wall mounting, TV with less inputs) or for HDMI audio stuff.

milkmanchris

I'd go with the latter option. It's usually only worth routing video through the receiver if you really need to consolidate video connections onto less cables (i.e. wall mounting, TV with less inputs) or for HDMI audio stuff.

Thats great thanks I suppose I can always run line out from the TV to the amp for gaming needs?

Just thinking if the component cables go from 360 and Wii to the panel how would I route the sound to the amp?

lloydsmart

I would go:

Sky - AMP via Optical
360 - AMP via RCA Audio (or optical if available)
Wii - AMP via RCA Audio
XBox - AMP via RCA Audio (or optical if available)

then:

Sky - TV via HDMI
360 - TV via Component (or HDMI if available)
Wii - TV via Component (or if component used by 360 - RGB SCART)
XBox - TV via RGB SCART (or S-Video, or Composite, in that order of preference)

Figure that should give the best possible result.

The other option would be to go with an AMP that will channel everything through one output. For example, you could get the Onkyo 605 or 606, shove everything into that, then just have one HDMI output to your TV. That's what I do with my 705 and it works great! My setup is basically:

Sky - AMP via HDMI and Optical
DVDR - AMP via HDMI
PS3 - AMP via HDMI
Wii - AMP via Component and RCA Audio
Cheap R1 DVD - AMP via Component and Coax
AMP - TV via HDMI

The AMP upscales everything beautifully, and my TV always sees a 1080p signal, so it doesn't attempt any of the scaling itself (which is a Very Good Thing, trust me!).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom