1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic Advice !!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bitofatit, Jun 5, 2005.

1. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have a sony dav-s500 and in moving house have lost the manual so hopefully the proper response to my question RTFM doesn't really apply. New telly (Sharp LC37gd1e), seems to be the biz, but can't get a picture! Sound is on stream. I have linked the sony to the TV AVC system via a scart which has three leads for use in the Sony. On the back of the Sony I have tried the 3 plugs in the Video out sockets and the also tried the audio in the video out and the yellow video cable in the monitor out in the s-video bit - nothing! In the TV set up I have tried setting input as component,cvbs and rgb nothing - any ideas? Please help - my knees can't take anymore! I've been on hours with this - tried to find a user manual on-line, all I found were hacks to make the dvd muti region.
    Ta :suicide:

2. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    are you using the orignal lead supplied with the sony?because leads can be directional. so if you are using a lead that takes a picture from scart - to phono, that wont work, you need to use a cable that is phono- scart, if you are using a lead you have bought you may have bought the wrong direction, if this doesn't work. let me know and i will see what else it may be

3. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Shahedz,
    You know you could be right!! I lost the original leads and bought a shiny new one from a kid in Currys, hmmmm...(Cost me £20 notes for something not too exciting) Anyway, I have the scart in the AV box of the telly and the other 3 Yellow, red, White connentions in various of the DVD's sockets. BUT I noticed (and ignorned - B of a T really), that there were 3 ">>>" marks on the cable which were going into the DVD! I think I'll try and get some other leads and try again. Top marks, from a top dude.
    Best Regards
    P.S - The leads state RCA is that the correct type simply going in the right direction as :thumbsup: it were?

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    HI

yep i think we found your problem! currys sell a JVC scart to 3 phono lead which would suit you fine ( in honesty you only need the yellow cable becuase the DVD player/amp is handling all the sounds) the JVC has a switch saying "in" and "out" on it, which means it is bi-directional. return the one you bought from currys and swap for that , say you were misinfomred at time of sale for a refund. good luck!

5. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the lead was the wrong direction he wouldnt get sound because that would be connecting to the input pins of the scart and as bitofatit says he gets sound just no pics....

have a look on the sony site for the manual i think you can download it.

sorry i couldnt give any advice on fixing the problem.

good luck getting it fixed

best regards

6. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    stu 81 - thanks for the advice - i've downloaded the manual - couldn't find it before - didn't look hard enought first time around - very helpful though. I still think sharedz's onto something. Although I was getting sound, it wasn't out of the TV, it was out of the DVD players speakers!! Of course I didn't make that clear in my original post! sorry - I'm just a Bit of a T really!
    Anyway, I'll post again when I can get a new lead and put the suggestion to the Test
    Thanks

7. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    Hi , how did it go? manage to fix the problem?

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Moved to all in one systems :)