Question Basic 2.0 Xbox One S Cinema/Music set-up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by crozah, Dec 18, 2018.

1. crozah

crozah
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, looking to achieve (or verify) some very basic audio/video goals here.
    I have a simple music set-up consisting of a Gemini PT-2100 turntable, Dayton Audio DTA2.1BT amp, Tannoy V1 stereo speakers and a Xbox One S for gaming and DVD/Blu-Ray.

So when I play a movie DVD/Blu-ray I set the Xbox audio settings to uncompressed stereo so Dolby/DTS gets decoded and goes into the Samsung UE40MU6400 via HDMI. Currently I stream the TV audio via Bluetooth to the little Dayton DTA2.1BT.

First question: Is this an acceptable audio path? Let the Xbox de-code the audio codecs rather than the TV? And how much does the audio get compressed by the Bluetooth? I do like this set-up so far, sounds good and I can change the volume with the TV remote.

Alternative: I could also use the TV optical out, install a DAC and then to the Dayton amp.
    would this potentially upgrade the sound much?
    I don't mind not having a AV receiver with video switching (I think), since the Xbox is directly connected to the TV (no set top or cable box). I just stream Netflix, Plex and Youtube directly from the smart TV.

Last question: the Dayton has a dedicated active subwoofer output, so I could turn this into a 2.1 set-up. Any decent budget (passive?) subwoofers to look out for? The Tannoys play decent bass but an extra kick might be nice for movies. Not really keen on 5.1/7.1, I like stereo and this is also very much a music set-up.

Many questions; just looking for some input and pointers here.

Thanks!
    Niels

Attached Files:

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,721
    Music will always sound better with as little in the stream to interfere with the signal as possible, Bluetooth may not be the best path for it. I would prefer to use optical from the TV via a good standalone DAC. I'm not much into streaming I'm still in the analogue 20th century.

If your amp has an RCA feed for a sub then you would be better off with a powered sub, that will certainly increase your bass response far beyond what your speakers can achieve.

Looking at your photographs I will give you a little tip that could improve your sound and that is to bring those speakers forward so that the front is sitting proud of the cabinet edge. That will help remove unwanted nearfield reflections and could help improve the treble response. I note that you have a wooden floor with a rug, this time put the rug closer to the cabinet, again to help with those reflections. Try it and see if it makes any significant difference.

3. crozah

crozah
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will try that out. Yes I was contemplating a DAC via TV optical out.
    Interestingly, the Dayton actually is a 3 channel amp with speaker terminals for R, L and Sub. So there is a 50 watt dedicated amp section for a sub. Not that useful i'd say for most subs are powered.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,436
    TV Connectivity - a DAC is worth considering.

TV Variable Volume - you often find they 'throw away' detail at the lower end of the Volume scale.

Sub - some Subs have High Level (Line) plus Low Level (Speaker) Inputs, Gemini

Speakers - like gibbsy I would want them at the front of the cabinet and preferably add some isolation feet/blobs between them and the cabinet.

Joe