Basement Home Cinema

63176503.jpg

:clap:

The GX speakers sound fantastic and are a big step up over the RXFX range.
Good luck with the fixings and enjoy the sound once you are set up and ready to go! :)
Well............ was it action packed? or was it a soppy rom com (too many ladys!?) hehe!

The boys won out with action packed.
My sister in law wants a bigger tv now that's she has watched a movie on a 104' screen.
My brother in law said he never thought he would hear his wife ever say that!

The GXFX are heavy speakers.
My walls are drywall so I bought some anchor locking bolts/screws that open up on the back of the dry wall and give a good fixing.
Bought them from Homebase and are rated at a load bearing of 25kg.

Fischer plugs and hammer drill to the rescue. All up and dialled in. Amazing upgrade and sounding awesome! Well done again on your set up

Nodular, really like your setup. We seem to have some similar ideas when it comes to home cinema! I've been thinking about starting a thread of my own here but haven't gotten around to it.

Not sure if you like 3D or not (I enjoy it in small doses) but the family wasn't up for a movie last night so I treated myself to Gravity in 3D. The LS-10000 did a really terrific job, although you can't knock the source material either! The Denon also excelled with the soundtrack. Now, I'm still running 5.1 so I can only imagine what it would sound like with your setup! But even with 5.1, it was impressive.

Anyway, great hobby we have, wouldn't you say?

Cheers,

Dave

Nodular, really like your setup. We seem to have some similar ideas when it comes to home cinema! I've been thinking about starting a thread of my own here but haven't gotten around to it.

Not sure if you like 3D or not (I enjoy it in small doses) but the family wasn't up for a movie last night so I treated myself to Gravity in 3D. The LS-10000 did a really terrific job, although you can't knock the source material either! The Denon also excelled with the soundtrack. Now, I'm still running 5.1 so I can only imagine what it would sound like with your setup! But even with 5.1, it was impressive.

Anyway, great hobby we have, wouldn't you say?

Cheers,

Dave
Hi Dave, and great to hear you like my cinema setup! :)
Myself and my eldest daughter enjoy movies in 3D.
My wife will watch 3D but prefers 2D and my youngest daughter who is 2 1/2 won't sit still long enough to watch a movie.

I was giving my brother in law a demo of Gravity in Dolby Atmos over Xmas.
I'm running a 7.1.4 setup with Monitor Audio GX on main 7.1 speaker duty and KEF R50 providing the Atmos.
He said it sounded amazing which it does and he really loved the big screen set up and the Epson LS 10000.

This home cinema hobby of ours is great and I also love sharing info on movies and what looks and sounds good in the world of blu ray.

All the very best for the new year Dave and happy movie watching.

Regards

Steve

Been ripping some of my blu Rays to HD and have started using Kodi.
What a great interface.....love it! :)
image.jpeg

Hi Nods! Good to see you've been hiding down there again! Love the new plaque addition.

I've heard lots of good things about Kodi. How do you find quality of Blurays after ripping them to HD?

Hi IrishPete! :)
The quality is fantastic and now that Kodi has had a recent beta update it's allowing DTS MA, True HD and Dolby Atmos as pass through to the amp.
It's nice to be able to play a movie without having to wade through the trailers and navigate the menu screen of a blu ray.

That's great! Get straight into the action. I don't have it but possibly sometime in the future. Must look into it a bit more. Enjoy!

I think bello is far more intuitive than the other skins and I've tried them all. However the pink and purple can be a bit much so changed it to bello nero

Looking at getting an Amazon fire TV box myself with kodi,are there many 1080p movies on there as couldn't bare to watch films in 720p or worse?.

I haven't got the Amazon Fire TV box but I'm guessing it has plenty of 1080p movies plus plenty of tv shows to choose from.
I use Kodi to host/play a selection of my movies which I have on 2 5TB HD's.

What HD boxes do you have,and how do you download movies from kodi onto a hard drive mate?

What HD boxes do you have,and how do you download movies from kodi onto a hard drive mate?

My movies are rips from my blu ray collection which are then played using Kodi.
It works great as the movie comes straight on without having to wait for and navigate through the blu Ray menu.
Kodi now allows pass through of DTS MA/True HD/Dolby Atmos.
Think of Kodi as the player of your movies either from external HD or from a network location with a great interface showing your blu ray movie artwork plus movie info.

image.jpeg
Sold my Denon AVR X5200 and bought the Marantz SR 7010 mainly for DTS X and HDCP 2.2.
Roll on the DTS X update on the 3rd March! :)

Been ripping some of my blu Rays to HD and have started using Kodi.
What a great interface.....love it! :)
View attachment 663627
I have Kodi how did you get the blu ray covers to show your Kodi I be honest I am pretty thick when it come to do this sort of thing as am new to this

Just drag a copy of the cover to the folder your movie is in and then name it folder.jpg

image.jpeg
Last bit of kit I bought was the new Samsung 4K Blu Ray Player to enjoy watching UHD movies on the big screen.

Where did you get the funky side/under/over tables from? The glass ones next to your Seating positions? I've been looking for exactly that kind of table for drinks!

I'm also in Stockport, with a Victorian semi, also with a cinema basement! Mine however, is the cheap version of yours, and looks nowhere near as nice! ;-) - Onkyo NR646, Wharfedale Pacific Pi-20s, Pi-Centre and Pi-10s, Monitor Audio BXW10, BenQ W1070 3D and a Samsung BD J7500.

Will you be going UHD?

Hi Sprag
Where did you get the funky side/under/over tables from? The glass ones next to your Seating positions? I've been looking for exactly that kind of table for drinks!

I'm also in Stockport, with a Victorian semi, also with a cinema basement! Mine however, is the cheap version of yours, and looks nowhere near as nice! ;-) - Onkyo NR646, Wharfedale Pacific Pi-20s, Pi-Centre and Pi-10s, Monitor Audio BXW10, BenQ W1070 3D and a Samsung BD J7500.

Will you be going UHD?

Hi Spraggle

The glass tables I bought from Ikea years ago. Not sure if they sell them any more but worth checking.

My projector accepts a 4k signal from the 4K blu ray player and the quality is superb even though the projector isn't a 4K model or HDR.

Watched Concussion in 4K and the quality was amazing.
There was one scene where you could see a hair on Will Smith's shirt collar!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom