Basement Fan up or down (Fractal Design Define 7)

PerfectBlue97

I'm planning a brute force air build based on a Fractal Design Define 7 case. Two 140mm fans in the front sucking air in, 1 40mm fan on the back blowing air out. Plus a fan in the basement. Should I have the fan sucking air in to bring cool air into the case bust also risk brining dust with it from the floor, or should I have it blowing outwards to vent hot air form the case, and have equal sucking\blowing fans which isn't usually ideal?

Other than the case, I'm going to be using parts that I already own, so no water cooler.

750W PSU (fan down, as that's where the Define 7 has it's vent)
Ryzen 7 2700 CPU
GTX 1660 TI graphics card.
*2 SSD
*1 Mechanical disk

Lots of RGB, as this is going to be a "pretty PC"

No overclocking

aslird

Hot air rises, so no point in exhausting hot air from the bottom of the case, since there will not be any, unless the fans are very strong. You are better off blowing cold air in, as long as you have a dust filter.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Ideally you want the same amount of fans coming "in" as going "out" (equal pressure )
is there any fans at the top of the case ? these may* acted better as exhausts if there is ..

PerfectBlue97

Ideally you want the same amount of fans coming "in" as going "out" (equal pressure )

Ohhh, controversial.

I'm tending to support the case that you should have more fans coming in than going out as this forces the air across components at a higher rate.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Ohhh, controversial.

I'm tending to support the case that you should have more fans coming in than going out as this forces the air across components at a higher rate.
Some people do like to play with pressure for dust and other things but I don't think 2 x 140 + another fan in with only a 40 out is optimal, it seems like to much of a difference. Many websites actually suggest equal in and out, which is what I have.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
If you look about ( which i guessing you already have) you will see multiple ways of having case fans ,
more as "intake" more as "exhausts" equal pressure vs negative pressure
one way might work for one person and not for others ..

personally i have two coming in and two going out ( equal ) , in both my PC's , and never had problems.

and having it "equal " i don't get a lot of dust - which mean i don't have to clean it that often too ..

PerfectBlue97

If you look about ( which i guessing you already have) you will see multiple ways of having case fans ,
more as "intake" more as "exhausts" equal pressure vs negative pressure
one way might work for one person and not for others ..

personally i have two coming in and two going out ( equal ) , in both my PC's , and never had problems.

and having it "equal " i don't get a lot of dust - which mean i don't have to clean it that often too ..

I've only got one place where I can put a PC, and it's got a radiator behind it which is less than ideal, so I've always had all but one fan pulling in cooler air form the room, and one fan at the back pushing air out as that fan would be pulling in hot air from the radiator otherwise.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Yea not the best place for it ,
is it on a desk or floor with the rad behind it ?

given what you have , i would have two intakes at the front ( bottom two fan places ) and two at the top ( the last two towards the rear )
and if possible have front of the case facing away from the radiator ..( rear closest to the radiator )
also have the front panel ( on the case open a little bit - this will get a lot more air in than having the panel shut )
give it try- do a few stress tests get it warmed up and see whats what ..

PerfectBlue97

In short, keep the air flowing from the room towards the radiator, not vice-versa.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Linus did a year long test on what the best method was. Will try find a link

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Aye pretty much , last thing you want is the heat from the radiator going into the case ,
saying that, surely you haven't still got the heating on in the house ?

were having a heatwave up here in north east !!!!!:D

PerfectBlue97

Aye pretty much , last thing you want is the heat from the radiator going into the case ,
saying that, surely you haven't still got the heating on in the house ?

were having a heatwave up here in north east !!!!!:D

Where I live it's not unknown for us to be under feet of snow in April.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom