Basement ceiling speakers

Sandmansingh

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. So I am getting my basement done and then electrician ran 1 speaker wire and looped it for 6 ceiling speakers. So it's 1 cable going to 6 ceiling speakers. I have 2 zones. 1 zone is a side of basement for projector where I have independent speaker wire running so that is fine. I bought Yamaha rvx 1018 receiver and ceiling speakers r regular 40 watt max speakers. They are 8 ohm. From what I gather if I hook up all 6 ceiling speakers then I get 1.3 ohms. If I do series / parelle then I get 2.6 ohms.

Qstn is. Amp is 120 rms per channel. If I hook up 2.6 ohms to amp as zone 2. Will it blow up the amp or will it be OK. I won't be cranking it much. Just Mello music. Will the amp shut off or fry up?

How do I fix this ohm issue.

Hello. So I am getting my basement done and then electrician ran 1 speaker wire and looped it for 6 ceiling speakers. So it's 1 cable going to 6 ceiling speakers. I have 2 zones. 1 zone is a side of basement for projector where I have independent speaker wire running so that is fine. I bought Yamaha rvx 1018 receiver and ceiling speakers r regular 40 watt max speakers. They are 8 ohm. From what I gather if I hook up all 6 ceiling speakers then I get 1.3 ohms. If I do series / parelle then I get 2.6 ohms.

Qstn is. Amp is 120 rms per channel. If I hook up 2.6 ohms to amp as zone 2. Will it blow up the amp or will it be OK. I won't be cranking it much. Just Mello music. Will the amp shut off or fry up?

How do I fix this ohm issue.
The best fix is to run one wire to each speaker!

No. The electrician looped it from one speaker to next to next. So I can only hook them in series or parallel.

If I only install 4 speakers. Since all speakers r 8 ohms And...
Speaker 1 and 2 -series =16 ohm
Speakers 2 and 3 parallel
Speaker 3 and 4 series = 16 ohm

Will the resulting ohm be 8 ?

Electrician is long gone. Dry wall is up. Hence I am looking for help with the solution.

Dry wall is up but is it skimmed? If not, I'd take it down and redo the wiring, not a massive job with a mate!

Do the speakers have 100v line as well as 8ohm option ? If so get a 100v amplifier as that's how he has wired them

No they just 8 ohms. No 100 v line.

Can I use a 4 5 6 ohm resistor in line to balance it or anything. I saw those on ebay for 1 dlr.

Add one to the preamp output of the amp

Everyone would like to tell you there is a cheap and simple answer to the problem however the fact is it's been wired incorrectly and you need to get it rewired .

All speakers add up to 60 watts rms and if connected in series parelle then it's 2.6 ohms. Receiver is Yamaha ranging from 4 to 6 ohms. 120 rms per channel. Will this stress out the receiver ?

The answer you want is yes, no matter what people tell you .

So yes it will be fine go for it *

* no responsibility accepted for damaged caused

Cut holes in the drywall and patch things up after.

I've cut lots of holes in drywall/plasterboard and it's always patched ok. Keep the cutout and use a piece of batten bigger than the hole, screw through and filler in any gaps, sand and paint.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom