• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Barry To City ?

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
If it happens, get in there what a signing!!

Nobody else has made a bid for him, so we've got him for £11m

:clap::clap::clap:

The usual snipes will just say its for the money but maybe Mark Hughes and Garry Cook have convinced him they we have a better chance than Villa of breaking into the top four .... who knows, they may well have told him who else we are going to sign and that persuaded him that City is the place to be!

Welcome Gareth!

Marc

Distinguished Member
definitely a bargain price, i thought Villa said they'd rather keep him for another year and lose £12m.. and now a week later they're selling him for even less! Typical Hughesy though, has a bottomless pit of money to spend, and is still bargain hunting :D good on him!

sdb123

Distinguished Member
I wasn't sniping at all. :)

I think that Arsenal had more of a need for him...still him and Ireland should form a good partnership in midfield. Not sure how de Jong will feel....unless you're going to be playing with one striker.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
I wasn't sniping at all. :)

I think that Arsenal had more of a need for him...still him and Ireland should form a good partnership in midfield. Not sure how de Jong will feel....unless you're going to be playing with one striker.

There should be room for all of them you mention

Given
Zabaleta Kompany Dunne Bridge
SWP De Jong Barry Ireland
Robinho Bellamy

Robinho can go up front now and we even have the option of playing Ireland on the right and bringing Petrov in on the left, where needed.

of course, this line up will be boosted with the arrival of Tevez and Lescott .... mark my words ..... and that leaves Bojinov, Petrov and Johnson to come back from injury with the other subs made up from Richards, Onohua, Elano, Caicedo, Benjani etc etc

What a start to the summer!!

branny

Prominent Member
Signing completed. More than happy with that one. He said he wanted champions league football and whilst that will not happen this year there is every possibility that he'll get it next year.

Even if he doesn't, £100k a week will be adequate 'compensation' for the loss.

Great move by the blues and I reckon one of many. Just need a a couple of decent strikers now. And a Centre Back. And maybe some others!

Cheers
B

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
I agree - great signing for City....I for one am over the moon as the scousers will be gutted :rotfl:

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
£12 million for a 1 year contract?

Not bad business. I just hope we spend the money on some decent players.

TBH Barry has proven himself a liar with the "champions league" nonsense last summer, he just wants a fat paycheque and Villa weren't prepared to break the wage structure.

He can be replaced.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
At least this means Alonso is going no where, i rather have him any day over Barry.

My thoughts exactly.

Great signing for City, but i'm more glad they signed him simply because it should hopefully mean Alonso is staying put.

He should bolster City's midfield nicely and take some of the pressure off Ireland's shoulders.

thfccambs

Banned
Didn't see that coming.:)

Great signing for citeh, a few more to follow over the next few weeks.

jayden28

Established Member
I agree - great signing for City....I for one am over the moon as the scousers will be gutted :rotfl:

i for one am gutted that his gone to city,i wanted him to join the reds because i think his no more than average,gutted!,alsonso staying then:thumbsdow.

JoeF2k2

Banned
My thoughts exactly.

Great signing for City, but i'm more glad they signed him simply because it should hopefully mean Alonso is staying put.

Guillem Ballague was on revisita de la liga saying Fiorentino Perez :

is convinced he will get Kaka for about £65 million euros

is 100% convinced that he will get Ronaldo but that will probably go down right to the wire end of August

Negotiations with Valencia for Villa and Silva are going well and should be confirmed within the next few weeks

And is very confident about getting Xabi Alonso!

ed_mcl

Banned
£12 million for a 1 year contract?

Not bad business. I just hope we spend the money on some decent players.

TBH Barry has proven himself a liar with the "champions league" nonsense last summer, he just wants a fat paycheque and Villa weren't prepared to break the wage structure.

He can be replaced.

sourgrapes2.jpg

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Would've quite liked him but not bothered if we didn't get him. I'm just very surprised at his choice of club, 4 places below Villa & realistically not gonna make Champions League anytime soon, unless Arsenal cock up next season.

At 28, cash is obviously more important to him than football.

ed_mcl

Banned
Would've quite liked him but not bothered if we didn't get him. I'm just very surprised at his choice of club, 4 places below Villa & realistically not gonna make Champions League anytime soon, unless Arsenal cock up next season.

At 28, cash is obviously more important to him than football.

Unless of course he sees the direction that Man City is going and, goals sold to him by Hughes and thinks he has more chance of achieving something there than he does at Liverpool or Arsenal.

Maybe he doesn't buy into the "this year is our year" ******** that comes out of Anfield each year. :rotfl:

DrWise

Banned
def a good move for city
now they need a striker and a defender

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom