Barry Norman

tony nevitt

Film ??? was nowhere near as good after he retired RIP.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
As above, I used to enjoy the show with Barry as presenter/critic. The Film..show was one of my main sources for finding out about the latest films (pre internet). I wouldn't always agree with him, but he always offered an informed and intelligent analysis of the films he reviewed. It was nowhere near as good when Jonathan Ross took over.

Garrett

Film ??? was nowhere near as good after he retired RIP.
He moved to Sky apparently because the BBC were putting Film out at all different times.
By far the best film reviewer for me even if I disagreed with him. I remember him one of his last if not his last showing future releases one being the first X-Men and saying something like What's all that about. Well almost like something Wolverine said: I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice.
Well in Barry's case scrub the last sentence.
I read his autobiography where he recounted chatting with John Wayne (on a train?)and I think John had been drinking and took something he said the wrong way and almost thumped Barry.
And he never said 'And Why Not'

R.I.P. Barry. I missed you when you went to Sky and now your in the sky.

toodeep

Barry Norman had a reliable rather reactionary taste in film. Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre is a case in point. I went to see this superb work because Norman was so dismissive of it! Still, he was nice enough in person...

1080 jawbreaker

part of my childhood. Had to stay up late :)

RIP

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
He moved to Sky apparently because the BBC were putting Film out at all different times.
By far the best film reviewer for me even if I disagreed with him. I remember him one of his last if not his last showing future releases one being the first X-Men and saying something like What's all that about. Well almost like something Wolverine said: I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice.
Well in Barry's case scrub the last sentence.
I read his autobiography where he recounted chatting with John Wayne (on a train?)and I think John had been drinking and took something he said the wrong way and almost thumped Barry.
And he never said 'And Why Not'

R.I.P. Barry. I missed you when you went to Sky and now your in the sky.

He didn't get on with De Niro either in an interview.

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
I've just checked sky news online when i heard about this, very sad news indeed. RIP Barry.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
As a youngster, being let stay up to watch Film '78 onwards was a real treat, and even if you didn't much fancy the films that week the very last part, a clip or a trailer from some future release was nearly always great.

Still remember his review of 2010, during which he kept calling it Ten Past Eight :)

RIP Mr Norman.

Mark One

Always looked forward to his show, I thought he reviewed fairly and with style. RIP, he will be missed.

theprestige

RIP Barry Norman. The first film critic on screen I ever got to see. Good reviewer and a respectable man. I always associate that Film theme with him.

Garrett

There doing a Talking Pictures on BBC 2 shortly 5.35pm on Barry.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom