1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barry Lyndon: any news of an anamorphic DVD release?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by expat, Aug 29, 2005.

1. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Having recently acquired a 42" plasma :thumbsup: , I have been browsing through my DVD collection to enjoy some favorite scenes in new glory. With my old 28" 4:3 CRT, the issue of anamorphic transfers was not especially important; now I can truly appreciate how much more detail an anamorphic transfer can deliver.

So I was rather disappointed to discover that one of my favorite films, "Barry Lyndon" from Stanley Kubrick, is letterboxed. Apparently no anamorphic transfer is available anywhere. I found the following interesting comments about this in a review of the DVD:
    How true! Anyone heard anything about a possible future release of an anamorphic transfer? Maybe I'll have to wait for a HD release...

2. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    1.66:1 anamorphic is still reasonably rare, precisely for the reasons stated above. Some people can see the windowboxing on their sets, some can't.

I believe some 2-disc SEs were supposed to be on the way of various Kubrick titles from WB (2001, for example). I don't know about Barry Lyndon...

3. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks, anephric! This film is so gorgeous to look at -- I couldn't think of another one that deserves an anamorphic release more...

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I watched this tonight by the sheerest coincidence.

Use the 14:9 picture setting on your TV. I watched through a component feed on a 46" DLP with no noticeable loss in picture quality.

5. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for the tip, the_pauley! I'll try that soon. What did you think of the film? I know many people find it terribly boring, but it really is one of my favorites. Of course the characters are very schematic, and it's not exactly full of action, but I love the whole mood of it, and the music, and the narration, and above all the LOOK of it.

6. davidjohnson

davidjohnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I like it :thumbsup:

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    This has always been a favourite of mine too. The sedate pace and quiet atmosphere of the movie that may make it "boring" for some are exactly what others love about it.

A beautiful movie! :smashin: