Bargain Expired Barnes & Noble 50% off Sale - Criterions part 2

Just ordered:

Babette's Feast
Frances Ha
Metropolitan
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

If these get hit by customs then I'll be looking at around £64.00, which at around £16 per movie isn't really all that bad. Of course I'm hoping that they will slip through. I'll just have to wait and see.

Gone for...

• The Royal Tenenbaums
  • The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
  • Weekend
  • Jules and Jim
  • Anatomy of a Murder

The Life Aquatic has a stunning transfer, you're in for a treat! :cool:

My first package arrived untouched today, 3 weeks since ordering, 2.5 weeks since shipping notice. :thumbsup:

Gah! Just had the letter from Parcelfarce - they want £70+ before they'll release my parcel of 10 from B&N from delivery; for me, the party is over...

If they're still marking the goods at the wrong price then that will be painful with these split orders.

Gah! Just had the letter from Parcelfarce - they want £70+ before they'll release my parcel of 10 from B&N from delivery; for me, the party is over...
Gutted :thumbsdow
If they're still marking the goods at the wrong price then that will be painful with these split orders.
It looks like they're marking them down as the correct price (albeit still as discs) :

Bill.jpg

The value on the outside of the box was listed as $99.95

Thanks for that that's a real relief because even though I said I'd not be tempted to buy I was :D -so far 3 have shipped separately (Pickpocket/Scanners/Insomnia) I assume as they're new releases they come from elsewhere. My main order (7 titles) is due to ship together it looks. If they had marked them wrongly I'd be hammered 3 times wrongly.

I don't mind the HMRC charges and can even swallow the RM theft TBH on bulk orders as I figure it all into the value. It's not nice but it usually still works out cheaper on my figures.

Smaller non-single orders though work out no cheaper than eBay buying 1 at a time.

Parcelforce is a killer. The Post Office "handling charge" of £8 is bad enough, but £13 from Parcelforce is taking the proverbial.

Had my first major hit this time round. £42 from DHL. The rest if my items have shipped individually, just the Demy set now that can be caught, hope it slips through.

Was going to go back in for more, but that's me done. Shame, was fun while we were all receiving 'books'.

The bulk of my order from B&N arrived yesterday in one box...

Ace in the Hole
A Hard Day's Night
The Hidden Fortress
Jules and Jim
King of the Hill
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Judex

Package was marked with correct price and as 'disc', so it seems I was very lucky to escape customs!

Just waiting on...

The Life Aquatic, Insomnia & Tess which were all sent individually.

Wow, £13 fee off Parcel Force, that's quite disgusting.

My first batch of six discs came through unscathed, fingers crossed the next 5 get through without getting hit. The irony is I really don't mind paying the tax, it's the handling fee for them to not deliver my parcel that annoys. Really don't know how they can justify it.

Well, it's clear I've been charged at full retail value, not at what I actually paid; I am spitting mad. B&N, predictably, do not want to know.

What we need now chaps, is an economical and reliable alternative to B&N for Criterion discs - anyone?

The 'blowitouttahere' store on ebay isn't too bad, prices fluctuate quite a bit but I was getting discs for around £11 each (+p&p) a few weeks ago. They often list new releases relatively cheaply too.

Got all my single (split orders) items through -as John says marked as $19.99 thank gawd.

That works out at about £13 delivered each so the future of single orders (although single item shipping would bring it to £17.50 -with no further charges).

We'll just need to get the calculator out :D

If we knew what the cut-off was, at what point do B&N consider that they have to send a package via courier (it's these items that are being marked at full retail instead of the sale price), I'd be prepared to continue. But if B&N are going to mark packages at full retail then I'm not prepared to take a chance - I can factor in customs charges, but double bubble? Not a hope...

*And* the buggers are now ignoring my emails to customer services about the issue; their fault, but they won't own up. Not good. Not good at all.

BTW, a single arrived today, correctly marked up for customs, and via Switzerland, but the previous hit - all £70 worth of customs charges - have sucked all the joy out of this.

What we need now chaps, is an economical and reliable alternative to B&N for Criterion discs - anyone?
The last four Criterion discs I've bought from Amazon. All were under £15 delivered. Which isn't as good as my first ever B&N order where Criterions came out at 8.74 delivered but that was when you could use voucher codes and double up on offers with packages marked up as books. Those halcyon days are long gone, in my last B&N order Criterions averaged 12.96 a title and involved weeks of anxious waiting to see if they would reach me unscathed. I think the 14.21 I paid for Criterions Godzilla compares well with that.

You need an app to track prices on Amazon, I use 'pricedrop' a firefox add on and wait until a Criterion discs hits $17.99 or below.

******EDIT*****

I should add the four titles were all single item purchases. Also I've noticed Amazon have done a couple of half price sales. I think the most recent one may have been during the couple of weeks just before the last B&N's Criterion sale.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there's a Scanavo type Blu-ray case sold in the UK?

That's a real bummer about mis-reporting values on courier deliveries and I'm assuming their CS are completely useless on the matter -in fact, going back 10 years at least my experience of B&N has always been incredibly poor if you need to contact them. Were it not for the Criterion sales I'd not go near them.

Surprised; B&N have held their hands up to the customs overcharge, have agreed it was an error to declare the full retail, and say they'll refund me. So I'll have to put up with the package getting nabbed and charged, but at least I won't have paid double. The only fly in the ointment is that B&N insist on sending a 'check' (in US dollars) for the overcharge, which my bank will slap a hefty 'conversions fee' on.

Hey-ho. Partial victory then...

I've just gone for The Lady Vanishes, one of my favourite Hitchcock films. It's coming out on Blu in the UK in November, but there's no mention of the bonus film you get bundled with the Criterion version (fingers crossed it'll play using the UK Panasonic glitch).
what is this UK Panasonic glitch you talk about?

what is this UK Panasonic glitch you talk about?
A lot of UK panasonic bluray players will let you switch to the disc menu after you get the wrong region message on a number of region A blus, especially criterion ones. I think you need to hit stop, then top menu.

A lot of UK panasonic bluray players will let you switch to the disc menu after you get the wrong region message on a number of region A blus, especially criterion ones. I think you need to hit stop, then top menu.
That's interesting do you know which model numbers this applies to?
I have an old DMP-BD60.

I've just googled and seen references to it working on a BD60 :) it's not all titles, so best to check first - I only have one (Godzilla) but that works on my BD35.

I've just googled and seen references to it working on a BD60 :) it's not all titles, so best to check first - I only have one (Godzilla) but that works on my BD35.
I'll have to do some research before I buy any region A blu's, but thanks for bringing this glitch to my attention.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom