Bargain Barnes & Noble 50% off Sale - Criterions part 2

Zone

Original thread is here with the last page of replies here

Paul Moran

I'm still trying to get an answer from "Jon Mulvaney" on whether Criterion will replace my Carlos and Three Colors faulty discs. In the meantime, B & N have told me to keep Carlos with their compliments: they will refund the original purchase price of $22.49 (but not the $0.99 shipping). It took several exchanges of emails, and some pointed questions about the applicability of their usual policy of "return within 14 days" and "customer pays for return" to international orders, to get to that stage, but it's jolly decent of them, nonetheless! Three Colors is still in transit, so I haven't yet had to ask B & N for return instructions. And if Criterion do eventually agree to replace the discs, will I tell B & N? Actually, yes.

John Hodson

In much the same boat with Three Colours Paul; I sent a pre-emptive email to Mulvaney and no response...

On a happier note, a shipment of seven discs sent Nov. 4 arrived this morning. At last.

Karlin

My understanding is there'll be nothing happening on disc replacement until the middle of this month. Anything outside the copy/paste reply is unlikely from Criterion as they'd need to employ loads of people to reply individually. I'm hoping they just put up a page with a few quetions -or as more likely- just send the 2 discs (Carlos disc 2 also dodgy of course) out. That's the inference from his email but of course people outside North America might get the short straw.

We'll need to give them a bit of time.

AVF post: Faulty Three Colours Trilogy

Originally Posted by Fanboyz (AVSForum) said:
The Criterion BD "Carlos" lacks a left surround channel track for the duration of the entire third episode.

From mulvaney @ criterion.com

Thank you for your email.

I've added you to both lists. We'll contact you when the discs are ready,
with instructions for the exchange. Let me know if you have any questions,
and thank you for supporting Criterion!

Best,

Jon Mulvaney

Paul Moran

In much the same boat with Three Colours Paul; I sent a pre-emptive email to Mulvaney and no response...

On a happier note, a shipment of seven discs sent Nov. 4 arrived this morning. At last.
I'm in good company, then, John! I feared that they were just ignoring me!

I've had all 15 titles I ordered on 1st Nov (arrival dates ranging from 23 Nov to 29 Nov), but none of the 4 I ordered on 15 Nov (shipped 16 Nov to 21 Nov).

This Carlos/Three Colors business has been the last straw for me: faulty products and inadequate customer service. I won't rule out buying the occasional Criterion title in future, but I'm resigning as a "completist".

moody41

Novice Member
November releases arrive today; Rushmore, 12 Angry Men, The Rules of the Game and Three Colours.

Just December and January releases left from the sale.

shade_of_meta

I'm in good company, then, John! I feared that they were just ignoring me!

I've had all 15 titles I ordered on 1st Nov (arrival dates ranging from 23 Nov to 29 Nov), but none of the 4 I ordered on 15 Nov (shipped 16 Nov to 21 Nov).

This Carlos/Three Colors business has been the last straw for me: faulty products and inadequate customer service. I won't rule out buying the occasional Criterion title in future, but I'm resigning as a "completist".

I'm the same...still waiting to hear back...I can only assume it will be a 'no' or he would have replied quickly!! They point blank refused simple replacement cases and updates for the first set of titles so I can't see this being any different :(

If you have all BD releases to date then I can't see you resigning for long....the draw is too great...the January 3 for 2 sale looms :laugh:

Paul Moran

I had a reply from Jon Mulvaney an hour ago. It's good news for all of us: "Despite the fact that you live overseas -- If you send us your defective discs, we will replace it when we receive the Carlos and White replacement discs at our office headquarters."

Karlin

I had a reply from Jon Mulvaney an hour ago. It's good news for all of us: "Despite the fact that you live overseas -- If you send us your defective discs, we will replace it when we receive the Carlos and White replacement discs at our office headquarters."

Fantastic news, we can call off the gunboats and stand the troops down* :D

*Although we reserve the right to to utilise such or any instruments or permit the extraordinary rendering of Mr J Mulvaney to a third country of his choosing from this exhaustive list: Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, the People's Democratic Republic of Congo or the State of Guernsey (part of ASDA Group PLC).

moody41

Novice Member
Good news for those of you who managed to order the pre-order releases in November. B&N sent my December releases this morning. So hopefully that's good omans for the Janaury releases as well.

TheDot

Novice Member
Yeah, I got Design for Living and The Lady Vanishes despatch email last week (cancelled Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter because an expensive car repair bill made me think about cutting back....a little).

As you say, it is a good sign for the exciting January releases.

Still no sign of my final package from the 50% off sale (not the items above), hoping it will be here this week as I am chomping at the bit to watch Rules of the Game and Three Colors.

TheDot

Novice Member
Yeah, I got Design for Living and The Lady Vanishes despatch email last week (cancelled Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter because an expensive car repair bill made me think about cutting back....a little).

Still no sign of my final package from the 50% off sale (not the items above), hoping it will be here this week as I am chomping at the bit to watch Rules of the Game and Three Colors.

moody41

Novice Member

My Nov lot came on Thursday last week (Dispatched 22nd Nov)

Dubliner1

Do you have the address to send the defective discs to..? :confused:

HitmanKelly

My few posted on the 23rd and 26th are yet to show, and my 3 Colours has still not shipped, though has an 'expected' date of tomorrow.

rawdonwhite

My few posted on the 23rd and 26th are yet to show, and my 3 Colours has still not shipped, though has an 'expected' date of tomorrow.

my delivery times have been all over the place. some arrived within a couple of weeks.

just had package today which was shipped on 15th november. still awaiting final order from 23rd november

Karlin

Do you have the address to send the defective discs to..? :confused:

I'm not keen posting back faulty discs -that's a cost I'd rather not meet.

Criterion makes no mention [that I can find] on their horrible looking site of these faulty batches (we don't need no stinkeen batches) which is very disappointing. Also, the amount of work involved in processing discs incoming and outgoing might be a bit too much for them.

A scan of the purchase order/receipt should suffice if they enjoy wasting even more of our time. I'd imagine very many people will never even know they have dodgy discs.

shade_of_meta

I'm not keen posting back faulty discs -that's a cost I'd rather not meet.

Criterion makes no mention [that I can find] on their horrible looking site of these faulty batches (we don't need no stinkeen batches) which is very disappointing. Also, the amount of work involved in processing discs incoming and outgoing might be a bit too much for them.

A scan of the purchase order/receipt should suffice if they enjoy wasting even more of our time. I'd imagine very many people will never even know they have dodgy discs.

True enough Karlin....ignorance is bliss I guess, obviously there's a cost to Criterion for the mistake but given most of us are avid fans (and not from the US) you'd think they would make it as easy as possible to sort out!

dannydj

Distinguished Member
finally went multi region today :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

if you had 50ish sealed blu criterions to chose from what title would you watch first ???

HitmanKelly

finally went multi region today :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

if you had 50ish sealed blu criterions to chose from what title would you watch first ???

Days Of Heaven, 12 Angry Men, Walkabout, The Killing, Fish Tank... damn you're in for some quality viewing :smashin:

My Three Colours has now been delayed... despite being in stock and ready to ship since I ordered it back in late November..

dannydj

Distinguished Member
Days Of Heaven, 12 Angry Men, Walkabout, The Killing, Fish Tank... damn you're in for some quality viewing :smashin:

My Three Colours has now been delayed... despite being in stock and ready to ship since I ordered it back in late November..
went for ........the third man / island lost souls :thumbsup: would have been walkabout but have seen it many times ( never in hd ). tonight i think will be diabolique / love during wartime......as i watched happiness earlier in the week.

TheDot

Novice Member
went for ........the third man / island lost souls :thumbsup: would have been walkabout but have seen it many times ( never in hd ). tonight i think will be diabolique / love during wartime......as i watched happiness earlier in the week.

Where'd you manage to get a copy of The Third Man danny?

*edit - sorry, thought you had just picked these titles up but it seems you have had the disk's for a while, probably before it went OOP :)

dannydj

Distinguished Member
Where'd you manage to get a copy of The Third Man danny?

*edit - sorry, thought you had just picked these titles up but it seems you have had the disk's for a while, probably before it went OOP :)

yep i had it for around 2 years, managed to get a copy just before it disappeared. it was the first time i had seen it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it....... especially the photography / music.
orsen wells' dialogue on the ferris wheel was just classic stuff.

HitmanKelly

Third Man... you lucky swine ;):D...

Have yet to watch Island of Lost Souls, looking forward to that over Xmas... also awaiting LDWT from my last B&N order, had no idea it was a sequel to Happiness, which though I loved, I can't really recall that well... hope that doesn't make it hard to get into the 'sequel'...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG offers best ever OLED prices - for one week only
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches Bravia XR A80J OLED TVs in Europe
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window