Bargains in the US

Ickle Yoda1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am going to Florida this year and wondered what the best things were to buy to save some cash back home, clothes and apple gear still best to buy over there? What about Camera equipment?

It can work out more expensive as your only allowed to bring back £390(about $593)worth of goods without paying duty and VAT
For instance a iPad 32gb in the us is $599 plus 7% sales tax= $640 =£421
In the uk it's £479
but if you get stopped at customs they will add the duty and vat to it so you will end up paying more(its unlikely you will get stopped at customs but to me it's not worth the risk)

Last edited:
woppy101 said:
It can work out more expensive as your only allowed to bring back £390(about $593)worth of goods without paying duty and VAT
For instance a iPad 32gb in the us is $599 plus 7% sales tax= $640 =£421
In the uk it's £479
but if you get stopped at customs they will add the duty and vat to it so you will end up paying more(its unlikely you will get stopped at customs but to me it's not worth the risk)

When I came back from Florida recently at Gatwick there was no staff on any of the desks even if you wanted to declare something, so you just walked through.

Last edited:
Greg said:
I wouldn't worry about getting stopped at customs. When I came back from Florida recently at Gatwick there was no staff on any of the desks even if you wanted to declare something, so you just walked through. Of course this was for Brits only obviously.

How do they know you're a Brit?

lots of Family and friends regularly go to the US and to my knowledge none of them have ever been stopped going through customs. We all used to take empty suitcases inside our luggage on the way out and bring them back full of bargains from the retail outlets. Shame the airlines have cottoned on and are now charging for extra baggage.

Greg said:
Because if you weren't you wouldn't be in that area. Johnny Foriegner goes out a different exit.

Even Johnny Foreigner flying from USA to UK? I doubt that very much. They separate on area of flight origin perhaps, not mixing Domestic, European, and Intercontinental. But on the basis of nationality, just to clear customs...nope.

Last edited:
Even Johnny Foreigner flying from USA to UK? I doubt that very much. They separate on area of flight origin perhaps, not mixing Domestic, European, and Intercontinental. But on the basis of nationality, just to clear customs...nope.

Yeah, you are right, I'm not sure what I was remembering, but it was obviously wrong. That's an 8 hour flight for ya!

Greg said:
Yeah, you are right, I'm not sure what I was remembering, but it was obviously wrong. That's an 8 hour flight for ya!

That jet lag can be a killer alright :)

Just open the Ipad up and say you bought it in the UK. How are they going to know where it was purchased?

Just open the Ipad up and say you bought it in the UK. How are they going to know where it was purchased?
They can (and have been known to) check the serial numbers. You would also need to have dumped all the packaging etc. Also be wary of only having US charger, etc.

It used to be the case (not 100% sure if this is still true) that the onus is on you to prove that you did NOT buy it outside the UK, not on them to prove that you did.

Bottom line they are not stupid and they know all the tricks. You're probably very unlikely to be caught, but if you're the 1 in 20 or whatever that they stop, it's not going to be easy to fool them.

They can (and have been known to) check the serial numbers. You would also need to have dumped all the packaging etc. Also be wary of only having US charger, etc.

It used to be the case (not 100% sure if this is still true) that the onus is on you to prove that you did NOT buy it outside the UK, not on them to prove that you did.

Bottom line they are not stupid and they know all the tricks. You're probably very unlikely to be caught, but if you're the 1 in 20 or whatever that they stop, it's not going to be easy to fool them.

Live in the US now and I have never been stopped coming back (caveat being that I don't take lots of electrical goods back, but clothes you'll be alright with).The US aint that much cheaper now especially Florida which rates up with NY and California for being expensive.

Best bet is to go to a good outlet mall for clothes.

Usual rules apply, just take all the tags off and dispose of receipts. I appreciate this might not be possible with items where you might take advantage of a worldwide warranty.

If you're planning to buy an iPad take your UK charger with you, put the iPad in your hand luggage (safer anyway) and the box in your luggage.

I've never let the tiny chance put me off, I'm ashamed to say I've spent vast amounts of my disposable income over the years in the US and never had a problem. I'm going to Florida this summer as well and plan to do more shopping, if I get caught on the way back so be it, I'm still winning overall!

Even if you are stopped, what's the chance that they correctly identify every piece of US bought shopping?

Epicurus said:
Usual rules apply, just take all the tags off and dispose of receipts. I appreciate this might not be possible with items where you might take advantage of a worldwide warranty.

If you're planning to buy an iPad take your UK charger with you, put the iPad in your hand luggage (safer anyway) and the box in your luggage.

I've never let the tiny chance put me off, I'm ashamed to say I've spent vast amounts of my disposable income over the years in the US and never had a problem. I'm going to Florida this summer as well and plan to do more shopping, if I get caught on the way back so be it, I'm still winning overall!

Even if you are stopped, what's the chance that they correctly identify every piece of US bought shopping?

Exactly as I said earlier, the chances of being stopped are extremely small. I frequently travel to USA (will be there in a couple of weeks) and often buy stuff just like you said. My point was, it's your responsibility to prove you didn't buy it outside the UK, so if you get stopped, don't complain :)

I was hoping to buy a new ipad but I doubt the new ones will be out by the time I go, a few months. May stock up on some clothes tho so thanks for the advice everyone :)

Exactly as I said earlier, the chances of being stopped are extremely small. I frequently travel to USA (will be there in a couple of weeks) and often buy stuff just like you said. My point was, it's your responsibility to prove you didn't buy it outside the UK, so if you get stopped, don't complain :)

Absolutely and I'd have no right to complain, I'd still consider it good going for all the money saved in the past. I'm more worried about what's happening to the exchange rate between now and July!

I am going to Florida this year and wondered what the best things were to buy to save some cash back home, clothes and apple gear still best to buy over there? What about Camera equipment?

Ickle. I'm planning to buy the Panasonic TZ40 (they call it the ZS) when I'm over there and possibly an iPad as I'm still running the iPad 1. Stuff like that will be priced similarly wherever you go so I'd recommend something like Best Buy for range and stock levels. Even more crazy I actually want to buy some computer components to bring back as I'm long overdue an upgrade. For these I will probably use Amazon and get them delivered to where I'm staying.

Clothes depends where you're staying, I'm heading for the Florida Mall outside Orlando as it's pretty good. You can also get some coupons nearby for further discounts. I'm not an expert on outlets in Florida but I'm sure there will be some around and I will do some research before I leave.

Ickle. I'm planning to buy the Panasonic TZ40 (they call it the ZS) when I'm over there and possibly an iPad as I'm still running the iPad 1. Stuff like that will be priced similarly wherever you go so I'd recommend something like Best Buy for range and stock levels. Even more crazy I actually want to buy some computer components to bring back as I'm long overdue an upgrade. For these I will probably use Amazon and get them delivered to where I'm staying.

Clothes depends where you're staying, I'm heading for the Florida Mall outside Orlando as it's pretty good. You can also get some coupons nearby for further discounts. I'm not an expert on outlets in Florida but I'm sure there will be some around and I will do some research before I leave.

Best bet is to suss it out and if you know the one you want go online and get it delivered to your hotel/friends/family house*

*delete as applicable

sorry to jump on this thread -
If ordering Amazon to NewJersey - they add a sales tax on at the end - what % is it?
thanks

The Florida Mall is good, and also be sure to check out the Premium Outlets Mall (Orlando Premium Outlets - Vineland Ave)

The Mall at Millenia (Home Page | The Mall at Millenia) is also good for more upmarket stuff

You have to remember in the US they don't add the sales tax until you get to the till, so bear that in mind when looking at the label.

And shop doors open outwards, so don't walk into them like I did once. :p

My wife and I last went to Florida in 2004. Went to the Fossil watch store and bought 6 or 7 Burberry chronograph watches (you could get Burberry, Hugo Boss etc in there) for $99 each plus tax so around $107? Came back and sold them on eBay for £250 each (store price in Goldsmiths was £350). Holiday paid for....

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am booked up and going in June now so not sure about buying an iPad as the new ones will be out later this year. Interested in looking at watches tho, can't wait to get over there!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom