1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bargain?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Noel, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I've been offered an Infocus 425z projector, ex demo, for around £900. It's around 9 months old. I know it's a DLP, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for as regards potential damage (dead pixels, for example, although I don't think this is the case).

Also, what's the verdict on this projector. Should I go for it?

Cheers,

Noel

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Noel,<br />Infocus make loads of portable projectors for the business presentation market. The LightPro 425 is/was one of their SVGA (800x600) resolution models with between 900 and 1000 ANSI lumens light output.

For £900 you are going to get a lot of projector for your money. But so far, Infocus has stayed out of the home theatre market. This means they have concentrated on data display rather than video performance, so don't expect to buy a projector that will beat the HT dedicated products from Sanyo, Sony, Sim2/Seleco and Toshiba.

Important features for Home Theatre use are - 16:9 mode, quietness, a wide range of video inputs, keystone Correction.

Lamps are the biggest expense when running any single lens projector. The LP425 has a quoted lamp life of 1000 hours. Expect to pay around £350-£400 for a replacement.

Get a dem or take it on approval. If you are happy with the performance then go ahead and buy. After all, a decent 100Hz 32" TV costs around £1300 but your projector will produce an image 10 times larger - so that's pretty good value isn't it?

Regards

3. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Chris. I'm hopefully having a home loan for a few days this week.

Cheers,

Noel

4. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Chris,

Sorry to bother you, but you seem to understand this machine......

Apparently it doesn't have s-video input. Is there a big difference between composite and s-video (over a 15m cable)? If there is, is there a converter of some kind I can use? I've got both s-video and composite running from system to projector, so I can use either....

As you say, it may not have the performance of some Sony or Seleco models, but at £900 it's got to be better than the LitePro 580 I'm using at the moment!

Thanks in advance,

Noel

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Noel,<br />Glad the original info was useful. Now onto your other questions...

Yes, IMO there is a big difference between composite and S-video. Generally you will see more fine detail and better colour separation from an original S signal. This isn't the case if you convert composite to S unless you use a very good (read expensive) convertor fitted with a top quality comb filter.

The S-video signal isn't robust enough to travel more than 10 metres without introducing some picture problems. There are companies working on longer cable lengths but, AFAIK, they haven't released product yet.

If you have both composite and S running to your existing projector you should try comparing the two. You may decide that composite is good enough. Afterall, when LaserDisc was the best quality source, composite was what most people used anyway.

Regards

6. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Chris, I'll give it a go...

7. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Shocking amount of fan noise. Couldn't hear myself think!

Back to square one....