Bargain subwoofers

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by AV Junky, Dec 6, 2002.

1. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Just looked on the QED electrical website, following a hint that there might be bargains to be had...

They have some great prices on budget Eltax subs

A6.2 £61.43
    A8.2 £76.23 (silver)
    £82.11 (beech and black)
    Delivery is £4.15 to UK

QED Electrical speakers list

Could be the time to add some 'oomph' to those Christmas movies ;) :eek:

2. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aren't Eltax rubbish though?
    Just from what I've read on hear it seems that I'd be better getting someone to bang on an empty oil drum!

Regards

Paul

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Eltax have a very good reputation at the 'budget' end of the market, producing speaker products that perform well for the prices involved.

Sure, if you're prepared to hand over several hundred pounds for a sub, then other brands would be the ones that most buyers would choose. Unfortunately I can't justify that kind of outlay for a sub at the moment. I also know a few people who, being relatively new to full surround sound, currently have systems without a sub. For them I thought that news of a reasonable quality sub, with more than sufficient power to get things rumbling in a small front room (particularly in the case of the 8.2 model), for well under a hundred quid was news worth sharing.

If any readers can come up with a better product for around the £100 mark, than I will be glad to hear about it.

4. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair one, I understand your point of view as I fit into the category of those without a sub yet, but I have all the other speakers for Home Theatre. About to change my car, Xmas is coming etc so I only wanted to spend initially about £100 which then increased to about £150. Having read reviews/opinions etc I've decided that I can't justify spending the money on something I'll probably decide I need to change sooner rather than later, so have pushed the boat out to £200 to try and pick up something of better quality but probably second hand.
    I'm looking at MJ Acoustics Pro 50 and anything from REL as I've seen these go for around the 200 quid mark. I'm hoping that if I get something of better quality be it second hand or not, in the long run I'll benefit from many hours of enjoyment and will potentially keep it longer than a cheaper option, giving me a chance to save my pennies for the inevitable upgrade. Don't mean to offend anyone, just trying to promote discussion on the subject. All opinions welcome.

Regards

paul

5. purdster

purdster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    having tried the budget end of the sub market a couple of times i have been steadily moving upparket for a while

Would have wasted less money if I'd just bitten the bullet & gone straight for a quality sub - but hey - moving onwards & upwards is more fun

Would try & spend as much as you can & buy second hand to get the best value - you see some quite good kit go for the £150 - £250 bracket

Now the owner of a servo-15 - well worth every penny - could have lined 20 budget subs against it and they wouldn't even come close

6. Lucky Scotsman

Lucky Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a full set of Eltax speakers.

Liberty 5 pack and 8.2 sub.

I've heard quite a few other speaker sets that cost quite a bit more and have found that the Eltax are very good. I'm in a 13x13 room and use them with a Yamaha RX-V430RDS receiver and I can't fault them. Maybe when my neighbour actually leaves her house one night I will be able to get the volume up a bit. This may make me change my mind. :)

But, for someone with a moaning neighbour in a kit house, they are good.

7. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got Eltax rears and am quite happy with them..you pays yer money......

8. dieselglider

dieselglider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea how the A8.2 would compare to a Yamaha YST-SW205?(Richer Sounds £125).

I don't tend to listen to films too loudly, so high volume listening isn't really an issue. It would just be nice to have an extra bit of rumble to add to the stereo from my Tannoy 631se speakers.

9. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Ahhh, Richer Sounds...

I tried to buy the A6 sub from RS quite recently when they had it on sale for around the £80 mark. But of course, "sorry, none in stock." And no stock of the Tosh DVD player that I was gong to buy for a relative's Christmas present.:rolleyes:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-RS. A fair amount of my current gear has come from there, and a sale price AV receiver from there was my first in-road into Home Cinema. It has however got to the stage these days that I loathe having to ring up to check if something is in stock, because you already know what the answer is - "no sorry, and we've no idea when (and if) we're getting any more in". Paraphrased slightly of course, but you get what I'm saying.

By the way, ignore my first post in this thread if you want to save hassle. I ordered the A8.2 sub from QED on Friday 6th Dec., and am still waiting to hear anything from them at all regarding the progress of my order. Their on-line order tracking facility tells me nothing, they do not answer there on-line query system, and have so far phoned them three times and spent an average of 15 minutes on hold (listening to 'Christmas Classics') without ever speaking to a real person.:mad: Give this retailer a miss folks.

10. Lucky Scotsman

Lucky Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV Junky,

I agree with both of your points. RS are quite bad for not having enough stock in, but I would still highly recommend them to anyone. And I would at the same time advise against using QED-UK for anything as they are worse.

When I first decided to jump into home cinema (best thing I've done in a long while), I did all the usual price comparrisons on the net as I like shopping on the net. I ordered a Yamaha RXV430RDS and Eltax 5.1 speaker set from QED. From all the things mentioned on the site, it would seem that orders would be received in about 3 days. I thought this was great, but I was stupid. Given that I have written many online shopping systems, I should have noticed that they do not have any indication of stock levels on the site. Any decent online shopping system is tied to an MRP system and tells customers how many are on stock and how many are on order. I phoned them up about 2 days later and managed to speak to someone who told me that they were still waiting on a reply from my CC company to approve the funds. CC purchases can be instant, this proves that they are using a very cheap system that takes too much time. They then couldn't tell me when the order would be sent out. I phoned them another 2 days later to find that the money had been aproved and processed, but nothing that I had ordered was in stock and would take at least 2 weeks to get to them. I decided to cancel the order.

I then proceeded to phone Richer Sounds in Glasgow who did not have the receiver in stock, but did have the speakers. I decided to hold off and do some more phone calls. I then phoned the Edinburgh store who did have the receiver in stock. I got them to reserve it for me. They did not have the speakers, but I could get these from Glasgow. When I got to Edinburgh, I got my receiver and saw some very nice Eltax Liberty 5 pack speakers. After thinking about it for all of 5 minutes, I decided to get these speakers instead (more money) and the A-8 sub. Unlike most shops that I have been to for anything, the sales assistant was not pushy and when I told him my budget, he advised very well. I decided to take his advise on what to buy, but not on when to buy as I just decided to blow the bank and buy it all right there and then. (I hate waiting)

I got all the equipment home and loved it from the start. After 3 weeks, I realised that my requirements would outgrow the RXV430RDS (for inputs mostly), so I phoned up the store to find out what their return policy was. I was very upset to find that it was a 20 day return policy as I had went past this and with the fire in Edinburgh, things were hectick and I wasn't likely to get through for another week, so this would put me further over the 20 days. To my delight, the sales assistant told me that they would accomodate my return. But they only had one RXV530RDS left in stock and it was still in the shop (the shop was not accessable to them at this time due to the fires). So, I waited until Monday 16th December when they would have had time to assess the situation. Uppon calling, they told me that everything in the shop was to be held for insurance purposes, so I couldn't get the receiver.

Things were going good - bad - good - bad all the time. I decided to go through to Edinburgh as they were getting a delivery of equipment on the Tuesday morning and would have some receivers in this delivery. When I got there, they still didn't have any reciever that I was interested in. The sales assistant told me that he could order a receiver for me and it would be there in about 9 days. I then asked him if the Glasgow store had any Yamaha 530's or 630's in stock. So, he checked the Glasgow store's stock levels and found that they had both 530's and 630's in black and silver. This made me very happy, so due to the great price of the 630, I decided I would go for that. He phoned the Glasgow store and got them to reserve it for me and told me to take my 430 to them and they would exchange it for the 630. He even explained the situation with the return period etc. to the Glasgow store manager, so when I got there, I just had to tell him who I was, hand over the 430, pay the difference and get my 630.

I have dealt with many stores on these types of situations and none have been as supportive as RS. It is due to this and the great prices that I would recommend them to anyone. As far as I have been able to see, the only places that will have what you want in stock all the time are the places that sell the goods at the RRP and who in their right mind would pay that?

11. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Scotsman,

I agree with you comments about RS. The only reason I still consider ordering from them is that they have consistently good prices. The fact they always sell out very quickly of anything on offer doesn't surprise me either. What bugs me is that when I phone the 'local' store, they can never tell me if they are going to get any more stock. It's always "we'll have to wait and see what turns up on the next delivery."

I don't know if you noticed, but Nick Halliday from RS was a frequent visitor on these forums until quite recently (when b*tching from other companies forced him off). He confirmed that the managers of the relevant stores are responsible for ordering stock to meet local demand. So why then can't the store tell you if they have a product on order? Mr Halliday also confirmed that in many cases there is stock sitting in the warehouse, but out of stock in stores because the managers haven't ordered correctly. Sounds like a few boots need to make contact with a few rears to me!

Anyway, the message seems to be that RS offer good value, but need to seriously sort out their stock level problems.

12. Lucky Scotsman

Lucky Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know about the stock in the warehouse. The salesman in Edinburgh checked the warehouse stock for me yesterday. Granted, the Edinburgh store at the moment is in a unique position as none of the other stores were damaged in a fire such as the one last weekend.

I saw their stock system working and I wasn't able to see any reason why they would not be able to determine what was in a specific delivery. They are able to check stock levels at other stores in the country, so this tells me that they have a precurement provision in the same system.

From what I seen yesterday in Glasgow, I understand why people don't get the information that they are looking for on the phone. They have a young lady who greets people at the door, but also answers the phone. She is great as a greeter (very pretty, perfect for the job :D ), but she is the wrong person to be answering the phones as she does not know anything about AV equipment.

The salesmen seem to give more attention to the people in the store rather than those on the phone. I can see their point in doing this. What they need is to web enable their MRP system and update the online store and make it applicable to each store. Not a very hard job. Maybe I could get a wee contract. LOL

13. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes, I see what your saying. This wasn't the case in my local store, where the phone is answered by the salesmen on duty. From what I've seen when I 've been into the store, the salesmen regard answering the phone as a considerable annoyance and distraction from serving customers in the shop. This could very well be a contributing factor to the poor quality of information they give over the phone. Perhaps they don't grasp the fact that most of us would rather check if a product is in before making the journey to the shop. This saves making a fairly long trip (about an hour in my case) to find they haven't got what you want to buy. I also do not like having to ring in day-after-day to see if any stock has come in. This would not be necessary if they informed you on the first call about when stock is due. As you say Lucky Scotsman, this is not a great feat in todays technological world.
    Exactly. Halleluyah etc.!
    Are you out there Mr Halliday?