1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bargain Projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dimmy, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found the Panasonic PTAE100 projector for a bargain £799 online, should I snap it up at this price? as I was going to save up for a DLP projector, but this seems like a great offer.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would I buy it from reading the relibilty issues on this forum?

Nope!

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Dimmy,

If you were looking for a DLP projector because thats what you wanted, then you should see the AE100 in action before you buy to make sure you'll be satisfied with it. It's a great price right now, but you should be sure its what you want.

As as AE100 owner, I think its brill, and at current online price its got to be the bargain of the year. Check Timh's thread here for details and opinions from lots of owners - now nearing 120 !!

Sean G.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen it - but only in demo. It was easily outclassed by the Sim i also demoed, but then at 9 grand u'd expect it to be. Aside from that I thought the image was perfectly acceptable. The biggest reason I was asking was reliability issues, and with sources other than a Denon DVD2800MKII

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Dimmy,

No one can deny the AE100 power supply issue - there's been plenty of posts here about it, but also plenty of owners without probs. You should get a fine pic from your Tosh on an AE100 - I presume it has component output...

This is really an issue of horses for courses.... if you fancy a DLP and aren't affected by the Rainbows issue we read about, then maybe that's the thing for you. I wouldn't buy an AE100 just because it's cheap - I'd go looking for the best pj I could find within my budget. Demos in dealers can be very variable - you could ask here on the forum of there's an AE100 owner near enough to you who'd give you a demo of their set up - you'd prob get a better idea.

Sean G.

Sean G.

6. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a panny 100 for 770 gbp from web. cambridge audio dvd55 for 155 gbp from richer sound with prog scan, picture is fantastic, the difference that prog scan makes is incredible. had previously linked to lg 3200e which gave ok picture but have been blown away by the change in quality. I'm not an expert, first projector and dvd set up, under a grand for both, cheap as chips, buy one now before they are all sold out

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries there - AE300 only £1350 & dropping daily :eek:

Should put the AE200 around £1000/£1100.

Glad you're happy with your AE100 & welcome to the forums :)

8. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are willing to spend £800 why not take a look at the Sanyo Z1? It is supposedly much better than the A100 with a higher resolution (164 more horizontal scan lines) better picture, better reliability and is only slightly more £££.