Bargain Philips DVDR 70

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sab, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have spotted a Philips DVDR 70 in Argos for £180 (£100 off RRP). Is this a good buy or should I wait to save up my money to buy a Panaasonic E85 or Sony RDR - GX3 both of which I can get cheaper than full price?

For those of you with experience with Philips DVD Recorders - were there any problems? I know it is a bit slow with the menus and booting up.

Thanks in advance.

2. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I can only relate my own experience with the Philips, but I had one replaced and then that one in for service twice.

The final straw was when the front panel readout dissapeared completely and refused to come back, I was hoping the same fate would happen in Philips workshop.

Took it back to Argos 11 months into the warranty and they ended up asking me to choose another machiine, went for the Panasonic E55...what a difference in quality and ease of use.

I'd steer clear of that particular Philips model...I think Richer Sounds are doing it for £150 approx....i'ts not worth the hassle even at that price.

3. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I did not go for a Philips DVD recorder in the end. I bought myself a Pioneer 420 DVD recorder which is a lot better than any Philips. The menus are much quicker to access, less noise and is generally faster than the Philips in anything it does.

Not to mention the 80 GB Hard Disk - hard disk is very desirable and useful.

My brother had a Philips for a while and thats how I am comparing.

The Pioneer comes recommended. The Panasonic ones are compatible with DVD RAM but I do not know of any DVD player that supports this.

If you have a Pioneer DVD player like me you should get yourself a Pioneer DVD recorder (preferably with hard disk).

4. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sab,

Which has better recorded PQ from the internal tuner - Philips or Pioneer?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Panasonic, JVC and Thompson players support DVD-RAM playback.

6. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    stanleyntl - sorry I cannot answer your question as I am not using the internal tuner but using Telewest Digital TV.

From my experience of both I would opt for the Pioneer as I did notice a definite improvement in picture quality with the Pioneer but I had used a better cable as well - so not so easy to compare. I will try using it with the old cable and see.